1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Quality games on the way

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 14 Jul 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I don't get this:

How can it be $6 billion in total, but north america be worth $6 billion more alone?

3. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

$6 billion worth of sales, but the entire industry in N America is worth $13 billion. Remember that firms can have value outside of sales.

4. fargo

fargo What's a Dremel?

there are too few quality games for the pc like call of duty,halflife,
    fear and far cry. it seems developers don't want to spend the time or
    money to do so. their in to big a hurry to get their product to market
    and make what they can and the game suffers for it

5. Vergil_117

Vergil_117 What's a Dremel?

Games besides FPS, everytime I go to the store all I see is a flood of RTS, MMO,and FPS games.

6. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Quality games on the way? We're saved!!

But seriously, what that guy said ( I forget his name) is good, selling his buisness to Microsoft so they don't have to worry about money problems is a good idea. I'm just not so sure the "quality" games he will make with this new budget will be in genres I like. The movies kept me interested for about 15 minutes, so I'm not holding my breath.

7. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

well if he don't wana worry about money that was the right move. I don't know anyone else with a higher budget save teh american military

8. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

This is good. Too many games are just copies of old games with ugraded graphics. Even though I believe styles should be copied and improved upon, I dont think they should be exactly the same. Take CS:S Vs CS:1.6, The maps, guns, and gameplay are relatively the same. Yes, CS:S is easier but that's only due to being able to see what you're shooting at. That game needed new guns, new maps, and new plots (Rescue missions could be much more elaborate). This is only one example of one game. Another example is WoW. Yes the game was thougt out and yes it is fairly good but developers missed alot of important parts. People just need to step it u a notch.

A game in the right direction: www.hellgatelondon.com

Not only is this game going to be great because of it's team (Diablo 2 creators) it is also going to be great because of the input they are recieveing from fans (www.flagshipforums.com) They are actively listening and evaluateing requests from the people that actually end up playing the game.

I dunno, I'm hopein for the best.

9. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

ah if only far cry had decent multiplayer... :sighs:

10. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

i cant say that their current list of games are great .... B&W is a good game, but B&W2 is crap, which did he work on ?

I have to agree though, its more about getting your money, and not even making good games, i mean look at BF2, its a nice game, but its very inefficient, and its only just getting to the point where its playable

11. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

it does, it just needs improvements.

i think time is more important here, it they spent more time testing and on QA they'd have games which were recieved better by the audiences because of the lack of annoying bugs..

I mean any one can knock a game because they don't like it but other people might. it's only when things are pretty noticable that it brings the game right down. i.e. non consistent stories, bugs etc..

(sorry for mishtakes ;-) been drinking. )

12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Since when did Peter Molyneux make a good quality game? Well one that lived up to it's expectations at least.

13. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Theme Park, The Movies and Populus were very popular games.

14. teabagger

teabagger What's a Dremel?

Molyneux stated that game developers could one day be as famous as film directors

No he didn't. He was talking about the role of games designers and how this has changed and still is changing from the early days of development. He said that he saw the role of the games designer evolving into becoming more like that of a film director from inital early beginings in an almost secondary role.

and even the game industry has changed dramatically with scripts for games today being a necessity, whilst 10 years ago they were non-existent.

Not really. He was talking about the design document, how one didn't exist (and wasn't actually needed) for the smaller scope and budgets of the Syndicate era but now they're looking at a thousand page document. The reference to the script was bought up by a member of the audience, how the script for a film compares to the design document for a game, and whether or not we should be following the movie script format for games.

15. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

recently the games by him have gone downhill alot, ive never liked theme park alot personally

but recent games like B&W2 were a big flop

Tags: Add Tags