1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux windows emulation

Discussion in 'Software' started by Agent_M, 30 Jul 2006.

1. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

im going to be making the plunge into linux with my laptop and ubuntu, but id like to use it for all my uni work and this means using certain windows programs.

i dont currently have access to some of the programs and havent been able to find them from any less reputable sources *ahem* such as animator DV and stop motion pro.
    some of the other programs will be video editing programs and image editing like photoshop(i cant stand gimp), so i was wondering if atleast some of these will run under wine or some other emulator.

if there are some good alturnatives for movie editing and what not then id rather use them than run emulation software. at the moment ive only found one stop motion program and thats only because its java based.

idealy i want my laptop for all uni work then my pc for gaming/fun to remove any temptation to play games rather than work my ass off :p

2. BjD

BjD What's a Dremel?

The WINE application database should list if the program is confirmed to work under WINE.
    Cedega is the other alternative, aimed at games so has better DirectX support. Not free though.
    You could dual boot and keep your windows install for apps that need it. Or you could run Windows in a Virtual machine under Linux, such as VMWare.

The best way would be to get a Linux native version of the programs. Video editing isnt my thing so I can't suggest anything offhand. I did have a good list of Linux alternatives to Windows apps, but the site is 404 now :(

3. Elv13

Elv13 What's a Dremel?

there is also this:
    http://www.alkyproject.com/ but it is not really ready

wine will run many apps but for windows apps, windows is always better.

For gimp, ne too i hate it, but there is a hack called gimp-shop, that add photoshop menu to the gimp, it is not perfect, but it help sometime to find an option

4. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

WINE may run it, but it's unlikely.
    You could jsut have a seperate partition for windows, a virtual machine to run it, or you could find a linux version or something similar.

I find Gnome Files very useful at tracking down gtk apps, and there is a video section.
    http://www.gnomefiles.org/category.php?cat_id=12

5. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

yeh i just found gimpshop, not trying it yet though. the poblem with the animation programs is they arnt even on bittorrent, usenet or newsgroups so im at abit of a loss. when i asked at the uni if they gave copys to the students the tutor said the students get them illegaly, but i cant see where and wont be able to test with linux till i start in september i guess.

id really like them to work under linux but i doubt they will, they arnt in the wine app database. maybe i will have to dual boot. should really upgrade the hard drive too then :( yet more money.

i may not have to use my laptop much for it though as they have enough computers for each student in bristol so it may all be fine.

that allky thing looks promising wish it was out already though

6. Elv13

Elv13 What's a Dremel?

take a look on blender, cinelerra-cvs and jahshaka

7. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

avidemux is similar to virtual dub

8. Bruno_me

Bruno_me Fake-ad‎min

It's free if you grab it from their cvs and compile it yourself. See http://transgaming.org/. It'll give you better support for graphics, some networking, and stuff you'd want for games

9. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

PS 7 I know works under wine, and 8 may as well...

Tags: