1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Of RAMery and boards of mother...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scq, 7 Aug 2006.

1. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

I've just gotten the Gigabyte DS3 motherboard and an C2D E6300.

I've heard that OCZ's DDR2 ram doesn't play well with AM2 and Core 2 Duo, right?

I've went ahead for some 6400 EM2 Mushkins. Should those work fine? I'm asking this, as it seems that C2D has been having some memory troubles here and there.

Thanks

2. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

Corsair seems to work well with both Core Duo and AM2 but OCZ has had problems with both. I haven't heard anything about Mushkin yet.

3. Delgado

Delgado What's a Dremel?

It seems to be down to the boards forcing a CAS timing which is too low for the memory to manage, and is something which is supposedly corrected by the beta F4 BIOS for the DS3. I'm running it now and it seems to work sometimes and not others :hehe:

4. scq

scq What's a Dremel?

Well, my CPU has YET to arrive, but say the memory is set at too low of a CAS latency. Aside from getting faster ram, then setting the latency higher in BIOS, or updating the BIOS, what could I do?

If the memory won't work, then I wouldn't be able to post and get into BIOS, let alone Windows, or flash it.

5. Delgado

Delgado What's a Dremel?

You've just hit the nail on the head as far as the problem goes. Worst comes to worst and the mushkin doesn't boot you could always return it and go for something else with an established track record of compatibility. As far as the DS3 goes, I can vouch that Gskill HZ will boot and it does seem to be the same for everyone else with that combination of hardware that I've seen too :)