1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Xbox 360s with integrated HD-DVD?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Guest-16, 13 Sep 2006.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: 13 Sep 2006
  2. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

3. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Oh my. So many people are really going to have a proper hissy fit over this one.
    Still its just rumor and not fact so who knows. I for one think its a good idea however it will really put those who already have one's noses out of joint. I would be expecting some kind of rebate plan or similar but it's unlikley they would offer such a scheme (and realistically why should they? I guess they will see it as it was the early adopters choice).

4. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

lol this would be a big influence to many people, even me in favour of buying an xbox.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

6. _DTM2000_

_DTM2000_ Minimodder

I've always thought this would happen and I hope it does. It's just a shame the 360 didn't have HD-DVD from the beginning as now a doubt HD-DVD games will ever be released for it.

7. dom_

dom_ --->

I am still going to wait on this one though. I didn't buy into SACD or DVD-A i waited and in the end they killed each other off. I hope a format, be it Blue-Ray or HD-DVD wins this battle rather than mutual assured destruction. When the winner is crowned i will buy into it.

/me kicks Betamax player

8. CAL3H

CAL3H What's a Dremel?

As an early adopter, I always expect to be surprised later and fully back the idea of integrating the HD drive into the 360. The only thing that did annoy me was when they were (and prob still are) thinking of offering a discount if some one buys the 360 premium with the external drive at a reduced rate. Early adopters sure shouldnt and wont get integrated drive but I'm damn sure I'm not paying more for the external than some one who buys an 'old' 360 with the external drive.

I will pay 99 pounds for the HD external drive as originally rumoured. Otherwise I'll wait for the Tosh dedicated player to come down. (Not that anyone's listening to my small talk :))

9. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

was there ever a doubt that this was coming?
    If hd-dvd had been ready in time, they absolutely would have integrated it in the first place, but in order to get a jump on ps3 they refused to wait for it.

10. CollinstheClown

CollinstheClown Hi

This was posted on Xbox-Scene, on June 30th...

-CollinstheClown

11. MidnghtDrgn

MidnghtDrgn What's a Dremel?

That was in June, knowing Microsoft, plans have changed 5 times since then.

12. otispunkmeyer

otispunkmeyer What's a Dremel?

i've never been bothered about the BR/ HD-DVD thing on consoles really

stand alone players will probably be much better, so if i wanna become a HD movie man ill buy that.

so far i think PS3's BR discs are simply gonna be full of the same game just in different languages...therefore they need only produce one disc, and also region coded games are goners.

i couldnt care any less about the 360's bolt on HD-DVD or even if it comes in the machine. i wont be playing movies on it.

what does worry me though is that the 9GB dvd's will run out of space before the life of the machine is over. i dont want to find out that in 2008 more intricate/diverse games appear because of the extra space HD-DVD allows.

13. xion

xion Minimodder

I really dont buy into the integrated home cinema experience in a games console thing, did / does anyone honnestly play DVD's or CD's on their PS2 or Xbox mark1? if i wanted that experience i'd take my player into a wind tunnel and cut half the buttons off the remote...

...i'll wait 'till they're being sold in supermarkets before i buy a HD/BR player anyhoo...

14. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

To be honest if in 18 onths from release they add a built in HD-DVD drive so what. You dont go winging to a car dealer when they bring out a new model or even a revised model a year later, so why should you complain about a console

just my tuppence

15. Speedo

Speedo What's a Dremel?

It can only be a good thing, and to be honest it's what i'm waiting for. Bung a HD-DVD inside it, and i'll buy one!

Like many I used the Playstation 2 as a DVD player until the standalone drive costs went down.. even now I use the Xbox or PS2 as a DVD player and relegated the Toshiba to the other room. That is more because I ran out of space around the tv from consoles rather than preferring the quality however!

16. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

oh lawd, so is there an option without the unproven drive that will try to force you to change your whole movie collection when it doesn't need it ?

17. Speedo

Speedo What's a Dremel?

Buy one of the current ones? :D I very much doubt they would offer internal HD-DVD drives unless they could include it at a similar price point to the current machines at the time. However I expect Microsoft will wait a while to see how the external drive sells first, then see if it makes economical sense.

It is all speculation though, the external drive isn't even out yet! As many say it's an unproven format with very little media available, and a small take up of HDTVs (in the UK at least). Give it a year, it's bound to appear.

Oh, and how does that *force* you to 'change' your whole movie collection? It does still play DVDs you know!

18. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

id rather just have the discount thx ;)

i don't really think HD-DVD/BD is worth it yet, and i'm not going to change my movie collection, as much as Hollywood would like me to

£150 (or something) for a HD-DVD add on, a HD-DVD player is going to raise the price, as said they may shrink the die to compensate - but id rather just have the discount then the HD-DVD drive

19. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I think it's a big deal because it fundamentally changes the capabilities of the console, it's not like making the chips on a smaller scale to alter the power requirements and heat output. What happens if a couple of years down the line developers decide that HD-DVD's are a good idea for putting games on? Am I supposed to hope that they also put it on multiple DVD's?

20. orb

orb satisfying.

You know theres going to be a new model of the car soon though, they kept on denying they were going to release a HD-DVD internal, so now that they do its made me and a few others(i guess) pretty pissed, after giving them 800 euros because my first 360 broke and now i get this :sigh: thanks :( :sigh:

Tags: Add Tags