1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony & Microsoft talk up their controllers in face of the Wii

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 14 Sep 2006.

1. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

if it has a Li-ion battery, yes

but a) they don't last forever (ipods anyone ?) b) their expensive c) a lot of the time you cannot replace them, or at least not without difficulty, and if you can their very expensive

2. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Do you have an xbox360 controller or even know what you're talking about? The battery pack on the controller is either a sealed Ni-MH battery pack or 2 AA batteries, either of which is easily replaceable. And I don't consider £9.99 for a battery pack to be particularly expensive.

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

*cough*rom*cough*

Still, I wouldn't mind having some sort of decent PC-compatible controller, for those console ports and whatnot

4. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

The gamestation near my has a boxed copy of that for £59. I want it, but I'm not going to pay that for it.

I've been wondering when they were going to release the PC dongle for it, they showed a picture of it in OXM a few months back, as well as the new wireless headset (I want one of them too).

The batteries in the 360 pad last for ages, and anyway, I've got 2 pads, 3 batteries, a quick charger and a usb charger for emergencies (and you can always stick 2 AA in if necessary). The only downside I've come across is the D-Pad isn't that great for Street Fighter 2 in XBL arcade.

Last edited: 15 Sep 2006
  5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

a) iPod batteries are just plain bad
    b) Yes but they DO last a long time, thats why they're expensive (iPod battaries from Apple though are a complete rip off)
    c) The Li-ion batteries are very easily replaced, and can be charged up via a USB cable while you play if it runs out of charge

But how is that any different to any other wireless gamepad for PC? Well it's actually alot easier to get replacement batteries since there are so many around for the 360 users.

6. yahooadam

If they make official replacements then li-ion batterys are easy, and generally not TOO expensive

Anyway, laptops use Li-Ion batterys and look how expensive those are

7. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Like I said before xbox360 controllers don't use Li-ion batteries, they use Ni-MH battery packs.

8. yahooadam

yeah, but u know, those AA / NiMH batteries cost money, and they don't last forever

NiMH is quite a lot more expensive and last a longer time, and AA batteries are good for maybe 25 charges or something (yes I'm talking about alkaline batteries there)

All these batteries add up, 2 for each controller generally, maybe some in your camera, ones for MP3 players (that dont use li-ion) and many wireless devices and then xbox controllers

It all adds, up, and batteries aren't that cheap (and i'm not talking about Duracell, their even more expensive)

9. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

a bit of a biased remark. Im not excited and I knwo alot of people who are not excited. Its just a novelty and will fail like all the tilt sensor pads and stering wheels before it. People are lazy (UK anyway).

I might get a 360 pad for my pc if you can use the wireless. I use an xbox pad on my pc now and also use the live head set on my pc with Team speak and Vent. It works great when playing BF2 and CSS.

Tags: Add Tags