1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Wireless and Wired Conflicts?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by moddenmania, 11 Sep 2006.

1. moddenmania

moddenmania What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone,
    I'm looking into getting a usb wireless adapter and I'm going to do some small backup jobs nightly to my freenas server in my room. Now the machine that I'm going to put the adapter in is my main internet machine, the connection it over ethernet. I've had some problems with with two wired cards before. Will I still maintain internet access over the wired connection if i add the usb adapter?

Thanks

2. moddenmania

3. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't use wireless for any kind of file transfers unless they're really small.
    Also, if you must use wireless, I wouldn't get a USB wireless adapter, they suck up CPU cycles.
    Much better to get a PCI one instead or stick with wired.

What problems did you get with wired before?

4. moddenmania

well i actually am only doing some jpeg transfers once i get it done for the first time it will only back up changed files. I think I might try it out with a pci adapter.

5. moddenmania

well i've got the wifi adapter however i am having some problems. i can't seem to stay constantly connected it just keeps kicking me off. It kicks off and then recconects, Any ideas?

Tags: