windows wont *Write* to camera

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by jerb111, 16 Sep 2006.

1. jerb111

jerb111 What's a Dremel?

Greetings, I have recently run into a small problem.

Recently I needed to put a picture (that I had taken off my digital camera) back onto it so a friend of mine could get it printed at walmart. when I went to drag the file over I was greeted with a red X, it wouldnt let me put any file or even create a folder on the camera. I know my camera supports this, I do it all the time on my machine, but my friends machine wouldnt let me do it

For reference the camera was a canon SD450 (we tried two seperate ones w/ different memory cards)
    My system and her system are windows XP SP2 updated and all that fun stuff
    I tried all teh USB ports on the compuer
    the Cards weren't locked

I think it has something to do with drivers... perhaps she isnt using USB mass storage?

regardless, do you have any idea what could be causing this (her computer can write to external flash drives and hard drives)

2. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Could possibly be software. Did your camera come with software? If so it would be installed on your computer and not your friends. It could be that the camera software enables the writing to the camera.

3. jerb111

jerb111 What's a Dremel?

I dont beleive any software exists, I've never used any on my computer (windows or linux) and its worked on evey computer except for hers... its very strange

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I can't put my own photo files back on my Canon (Powershot 510) camera through Explorer - Paste is greyed out.

It also plays weird when I view images by opening the card in Explorer - my XP associates jpg with Irfanview, but camera jpgs open in XP's "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer".

Local shop will accept photo files on CD as well as cards.

5. jerb111

jerb111 What's a Dremel?

I ended up burning the file to a cd for her (our walmart will take CD's too, its just a pain)

Paste is greyed out for me, so is "create new folder" also when I try to drag files into it through explorer I get a red x for a cursor indicating I cant put files here (read only perhaps?)

I'd like to solve this so I can just rip her photo's back onto the card, it saves me hassle (I have to come over and burn CD for her) and is just easier (cashier has to do pictures on CD, the kiosk only supports memory cards)

any suggestions would be wonderful

P.S. as a side note on her computer the camera is detected as "new camera found: SD450" and shows up under the "camera's and imaging devices" tab in my computer. howevr on my computers it shows up as "USB mass storage device detected: Canon SD450" and shows up under the "devices with removable storage" tab... could this be the problem? should I try selecting Properties and try to use a USB mass storgae driver for it?(creating a restore point before I do so)

6. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Same on mine, apart from different model. Maybe because me and her have installed the Canon CameraWindow program that can be set to auto-open when the camera's connected. There's an option to use either Canon CameraWindow or Microsoft Scanner & Camera Wizard. You'll be on the second one.

Best solution is to install her CameraWindow software on your PC. There's an option under the "Set to Camera" tab to upload images, just tried it on mine with an image from another camera, works fine providing you set the resolution to no more than the best her camera can handle.

7. jerb111

jerb111 What's a Dremel?

alright, I'll give that a shot. thank you for your help