1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Battlefield 2 Hardware Performance

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by ou7blaze, 24 Sep 2006.

1. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Firstly, I would've posted this in Hardware but since it is about a specific game I posted it here...

Anyways I just wanted a quick answer.

Right now my setup is -
    Athlon XP 2500+ (that's 1.8ghz stock overclocked to 2ghz during gaming)
    ASUS A7N8X-deluxe ver.2
    ATi Radeon 9800pro
    2 sticks of 256mb Kingston standard RAM (not enough clearly)

Basically I am JUST able to play BF on 32 (+bit more) servers without experience TOO much stuttering and general software lag, however I have to lower my visibility to 80% to encourage smooth gameplay.

I was thinking of an upgrade since I desperately need one, but for the moment upgrading to PCI-e is simply too costly not for me but probably for alot of people stuck in my position, so I was wondering instead of a fullsystem upgrade should I just upgrade my Graphics card and install new more powerful RAM?

Lastly, is BF more of a Grapphics or CPU Intensive game? I really want to know this could solve my upgrade issues saving big $.

And, I presume if BF2 was Graphics intensive for example Battlefield 2142 probably would be aswell?

2. MR BUNGLE

MR BUNGLE Shoddymodder

1 gig of RAM is the minimum you need for stutter-free gaming in BF2...
    If you're noticing more probs on larger servers, I would also suspect that your CPU is holding you back.
    - I'd be very surprised if your chip doesnt clock higher than 2ghz, most will reach 2.3-2.4... (as long as you're not on stock cooling)

3. Musicboffin

Musicboffin What's a Dremel?

2gb is a must for nice BF2 gameplay. I went from a similar spec to your to my sig with an Opty 144 rather than X2 and it was much much better. Ram and FSB make all the difference.

4. SeBbY_007

SeBbY_007 What's a Dremel?

Well, from the start you are putting yourself at a disadvantage in BF2 with only 80% distance, especially when sniping, can't you lower another setting?

As I understand it BF2 is more graphically intensive rather than CPU, but it does benefit from memory, 2GB provides a difference over 1GB.

Finally for BF2142, it uses the same basic engine as BF2, but it has been slightly upgraded. So the requirements won't be too much different from BF2 i guess.

5. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

I can't lower another setting I use 800x600 resolution, and all the texture settings etc are set on low, surely I'm pretty sure with my hardware I can run it stable at 100% I just don't know, it pisses me off because I could rack up points like hell but I'm at a major disadvantage to everyone because of my poor system hardware. :grr:

So, let's say if I upgraded to 1GB of Ram and uprated my computer in the graphics department what kind of increase in performance am I likely to receive?

I can't make the jump to 2GB no money, this is all from MY bank account unlike all those rich kids asking daddy and you know hardware in Hong Kong is supposed to be cheaper aswell, poor i am. :rolleyes:

And I've noticed everyone has said alot about my RAM and CPU, but nothing about actually getting a new graphics card is it still fine? I mean it WAS top of the line quite a while ago...

6. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

runs great on 2gig here, my graphics card however is only a 7600gt so i have to put things on medium/low settings but it still looks good.
    Il admit sometimes theres some graphical tearing and i need to restart the computer but thats more down to the graphic card overheating i think.

7. MR BUNGLE

MR BUNGLE Shoddymodder

Changing GFX card probably hasnt been mentioned, because you're still on AGP..
    - Any worthwhile upgrade is gonna cost a fair chunk of cash, unless you can find a 2nd hand bargain..
    If you're gonna splash for a new card, I'd recommend something like a 6800gt, or x850, which should be a noticeable improvement.
    As an example, retekdirect.co.uk have new x800 pro cards for just over £100
    You should be able to find a used 6800gt for under £80 (gets my vote)
    Better cards are available, but cost nearer to £200!

However, all this would be an absolute waste of time if you're still stuck with 512mb RAM - BF2 will STILL stutter. - Keep an eye on the for sale/wanted section....

8. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

Interesting, yeah i think i'll take the advice for that graphics card for the moment.

What's the best AGP Graphics card I could get right now, the last time I was upto date with graphics card development was when the Radeon9800pro came out and how long was that ago, 2 years or something? :eeek:

EDIT: I don't think I'd be able to use the Sale forums as I'm from Hong Kong. :grr:

9. MR BUNGLE

MR BUNGLE Shoddymodder

Gainward 7800gs+ is the best I know of - It's basically a 7900gt
    ATI havent released any high end AGP parts for a year or so.

10. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

7800GS agp = Expensive...

11. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

So it looks again technology is going to force me to upgrade properly once again to PCI-e this time and it seems I'm in a rapidly diminishing AGP market, why does technology have to do this.

Right I got all my answers then, thanks guys.

12. JesterQ

JesterQ What's a Dremel?

Help ..

If it's any help I ran BF2 on a similar set up to you on a 6600GT AGP no problems but i did have 2 gig of ram.

13. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

You can get X800 AGPs for £65 2ndhand, or a VIVO version for £100ish, and can overclock it to an XTPE

Tags: