1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple wants to trademark "podcast"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 25 Sep 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Can I please ask, What the HELL is a "mypodder"?

3. TheSaladMan

TheSaladMan What's a Dremel?

Half of me wants to say they should be allowed to do this afterall, they did bring out the iPod and the term "Podcast" did come from that specifically.

But if they're gonna charge money to use the name then **** them, those costs would translate to the consumer and I'd more than likely have to pay to listen to podcasts, it's just one of those things that should always be free, mostly because it can be quite hard to find a half interesting podcast.

/rant

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I've become somewhat of an Apple fanboy after switching (it's hard not to tbh), but this is just stupid. Please, someone smack ol' Steve. I understand where he's coming from, but the people argue that it stands for something to the effect of portable broadcast specifically so that it WON'T be associated specifically with Apple/iPods.

ot - can't wait to listen to NBS15, but something tells me that my current location of economics class wouldn't be an appropriate location. Oh well. Early b-day present, all's good.

5. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

i think podcast is a silly name tbh :p

6. quack

quack Minimodder

I've always hated the term podcast. The sooner people decide on a better alternative the better IMHO.

7. Zayfod

Zayfod What's a Dremel?

Wouldn't they have had to have originated the term, and well, traded under it to use it as a trademark? As it's blindingly obvious that Apple didn't originate the term 'Podcast', much less the technology associated with it, they have no real claim over it. See "The History of Podcasting" on Wikipedia.

As for an alternative term, how about 'AudioRSS' in the place of 'Podcast', which would give 'VideoRSS' in the place of 'Video Podcast' which was always a bit of a clunky term, and 'DataRSS' or 'BinaryRSS' for anything else people might want to syndicate in the place of terms like 'Torrentcast'

8. offroadracer789

offroadracer789 What's a Dremel?

Id be fine if they actaully came up with the term. How can they trademark something that didnt even come up with.

stupid apple

9. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

:duh: Just what are these lawyers on? I'd say fire the lot ("out of a cannon - into the Sun") and get some with the brains & backbone to tell Steve he's being STUPID.

I third that.

10. zoot2boot

zoot2boot What's a Dremel?

does seem kinda stoopid. surely that the term podcast is in common usage is a good thing for apple. some one wants to listen to pod casts... they go buy an ipod. youve got your product right there in the name... just like a hoover or a leerjet, you cant buy advertising that good

11. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I have to wonder if this is less about the name and more about trying to stick it to a company that is producing a way around at least a little part of your DRM. Regardfless of how they do in the court of law, they have already lost in the courst of public opinion. I mean, this sounds like somthing Sony would do! :duh:

12. YorkieBen

YorkieBen What's a Dremel?

dont the BBC also use the term podcast?

13. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

All i can say is let them try it. Its going to cost them money to trademark it and fight it. THey have money to waste so let them do it as they have no common sence

14. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

can Steve be anymore meglomaniacal..
    I hope this takes ages in the courts and loses Apple Corp a shed load of money as they are just RIDICULOUS. Sorry but f**k off AGAIN Apple you bunch of ******s.

Tags: Add Tags