1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux multiple Backgrounds in Ubuntu

Discussion in 'Software' started by jerb111, 13 Sep 2006.

1. jerb111

jerb111 What's a Dremel?

Hello there, I've just made the switch from windows XP to Ubuntu and aside from a few small annoyances (getting Files off NFTS Drive) I'm loving it.

One of my favorite features so far is the multiple desktops, having four available is so nice. I do have one small complaint about them though, I cant seem to control the background.

I go System>Preferences>desktop&backgrounds
    but when I select teh background it makes the changes across all four desktops, is there anyway to set a unique background for each desktop? so, for example, I cna easily tell which on I'm on?

2. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

As far as I can tell, no, but then again I've never tried. (I'll poke around this afternoon.)

Now, getting files of NTFS drive, is the NTFS drive on the same computer, or on a different computer?

I've found grabbing things from other drives to be much easier in linux than Windows, but unfortunately like most things linux, you have to know how to do it, and too many people say things like "Mount the NTFS Partition in fstab with the proper flags" rather than simply giving you the flags, and telling you what exactly fstab is.

(I don't remember them off hand, but when I get a spare moment I'll pull out my laptop and let you know.)

While I don't recommend writing to an NTFS drive from linux, I do recommend reading from them, since I haven't had a single problem yet. (I haven't had a problem writing to them either, but I hear it is more common than I think it is...)

3. jerb111

jerb111 What's a Dremel?

its a local drive so I just mounted the partition, unfortunatly its read only so I think It'll make its was into an external enclosure or NAS (got all my music, movies, pics, etc on it)

as for the desktop, thats unfortunate, but thanks for the help

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

A quick search of the Ubuntu Forum suggests that having unique backgrounds for each workspace is possible in KDE but not in Gnome.

There is a KDE flavour of Ubuntu called Kubuntu, but as you have already installed the normal version, KDE can be added by installing "kubuntu-desktop" via Synaptic.

You can then switch between Gnome & KDE sessions on the login screen

Tags: