News Microsoft outlines Vista piracy plans

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 5 Oct 2006.

1. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

I did read the article and didnt see it on the boards either, please forgive me if I missed it. But are MS still going ahead with this Music thing because I read from the begining they are not allowing music to be played on Vista (through some piece of software) thats been downloaded with out a license!?

2. Rekarp

Rekarp What's a Dremel?

Just did in my friends MAC. And come to think of it Ive heard you can install OSX on a Generic PC as well (dont know if its legal or not).

That sounds redundent. Im pretty sure temporary files (like cookies ect.) dont need a password to be "installed" but then again I have never really used linux.

All the PC's i make autoupdate and my roommates Dell Autoupdates with no user actions.

In a sequence of events that would later inspire much folklore, Microsoft negotiated a license for QDOS from SCP in December 1980 for $25,000, then re-licensed QDOS to IBM. Microsoft then acquired all rights to QDOS for only $50,000 from SCP in July, 1981, shortly before the PC's release.

From Wiki

Windows has the right to resell it basicly.

3. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

I feel like that sometimes too. As long as my questionable copy runs dx10 along side of fedora I dont really care. ;)

4. Aankhen

Aankhen What's a Dremel?

Hehe... Microsoft's Vista piracy plans... :naughty: *sniggers*

As with all other activation and, indeed, all other copy protection, I expect it will be cracked. It's only a question of time.

5. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

I do not like the direction microsoft has taken as of late. A friend of mine noticed the WGA on his computer broadcasting all sorts of data back to MS, directory listings and the likes I was very suspicous of that. I have never been inclined to buy a microsoft OS and I do not see myself doing so in the near future. I am going to give vista quite a few months before I even think about installing it. Someone will have it cracked probably before it reaches the shelves.

Simple microsoft. Shove WGA down everyones throat. Load up our PC's with extra software we totally do not need. Scan our HDD's for data and then report it back to yourselves. See how all of this represents your company in the public eye. :nono:

6. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

That's my exact issue, too. I'll probably still dual-boot with XP though. My gaming, even with a 7800GS isn't such a common exercise.

I'm sure someone, somewhere will release a Vista RCV (Reduced Crap Version), but with all the phoning home I'm doubtful it'll work too well. That said, there is always the "if it can be coded, it can be cracked" school of thought.

The fact that they're not releasing DX10 for anything other than Vista is quite possibly the only reason I'd be interested in upgrading.

Bit of a shame your experience wasn't smooth. I've had my fair share of Linux problems in the past, but most of these have been down to the fact that I delved almost straight into the deepend (Slackware, after a bit of RedHat 7.2 years ago and some UNIX time at Uni). It's really a learning curve, and I enjoy it most of the time. I've always got more than one PC kicking about anyway, so I've always got a fall-back.

UI wise, it's a bit of a non-issue. Distributions such as Kororaa are paving the way for next-generation versions of the X server, that uses OpenGL 3D acceleration much in the same way that Vista does with Aero, OSX with (whatever they call their UI). The reason it's a non-issue is because you can change it for whatever you wish -- I ran a mix of fluxbox, XFCE and KDE on my Slackware install. Ok it's not always overly simple to install new environments, but the option (and challenge) is there -- if you can read, and have the patience, you can do anything. Decent package management can also be a huge help.

Vista doesn't improve over XP in every way. That's extreme speculation; no-one has seen the finished article yet, and it's definitely not had ~5yrs of end-user testing. One example; the network stack/code/blah has all been re-written and it'll only be a test of time to see how it holds up. There are a few companies (namely, Cisco) who have expressed concerns about it.

I'm hopeful it'll be an improvement; in many ways it already is, but don't be quick to use the phrase "every way" just yet.

Following on from your issues with K/Ubuntu: Linux has issues with drivers. There is a huge [legal] grey area on distributing non-GPL drivers (eg. Nvidia, ATi and Intel's own driversets for Linux) with a GNU/Linux distribution. Basically derived work from GPL'd source must itself be able to be licensed under the GPL too (this is how I understand it from reading the Kororaa project's GPL statement) -- hence why 3rd-party, open-source GPL drivers must be packaged. You can install whatever you want pre-compilation/post-installation, but it just can't be delivered that way.

That's generally the issue. People work hard to keep things compatible, but it doesn't always work out, I guess. :sigh:

Still, Nvidia's own drivers are awesome!

Edit: Just seen this post above,

As far as I was aware, it's extremely hard to accomplish. The reason being that PCs all use a BIOS, but Macs are currently one-up with EFF (which is almost an AIOS, if you like).

It's something to do with emulation. Boot Camp works backwards from EFF and emulates a normal BIOS that is compatible with Windows. Emulating EFF from a BIOS isn't quite so simple, AFAIK. But please someone correct me if I'm wrong!

That said, Intel were preaching use of EFF adoption in PCs at IDF. If it means being able to effectively run OSX on your PC, I'm all for it. I'd love a go at running OSX without the hassle of having to run a Mac.

(And I'm sure RTT will agree, hehe.) :D

Last edited: 6 Oct 2006
  7. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

If you thought Vista was doing any amount of phoning home, then try and use a corporate key.

Yeh, yeh "It'll be cracked", but it's an interesting idea nonetheless.

Tags: Add Tags