1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Evag 7900 GTX 512

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BFGunrunner, 10 Oct 2006.

1. BFGunrunner

BFGunrunner What's a Dremel?

I decied this is going to be my final DX 9 video card in the link below.
    I am hopeing it's going to last me 2-3 years...

eVGA 512-P2-N573-AR Geforce 7900GTO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail

Now, I'll be getting a new 20" LCD so I can game on at 1200x1600 on games such as Epsiode 1 and FEAR, Far Cry with maxed settings out with AA/AF and I'm pretty confident that a card like this will own in those games. While my 7600 GT
    is having trouble playing FEAR at 1152* with 2 xAA...

I don't really like ATI becuase I once had an X-700 and it self destruted... lol
    I know that the X1000 can do AA+real HDR but even the X1900's do take big hits in FPS especially at a high res like 1600*1200, But I don't really care becuase I mostly play source games and I'm really not to intersted in upcoming games except for Epsiode 2 and the new Grand theft Auto...

1) Will the 7900 bottlneck my computer in my sig let alone Work on my rig?

2)Is this 7900 faster than a 7950 GT?

2. section8

section8 What's a Dremel?

im confused coz in your title you say EVAG 7900 GTX 512 and in your post you say about the GTO version....

which card are you on about first....

3. section8

section8 What's a Dremel?

oh and the card would work on your PC i your sig... dont know too much about bottlenecks but your CPU is slightly older... if you can run FEAR at all then it should be reasonably ok!

scott b

4. BFGunrunner

My bad,
    I'm getting the GTO snice it's a waaaay better deal than the GTX :thumb:

5. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:confused: Have we not had this question just recently? P4 3.06ghz 533FSB is going to bottleneck your 7600GT let alone a card like 7900GTO. That said you should find there's often very little performance hit by upping res, details & AA+AF (deja vu?).

:hip: The 7900GTO is certainly a hungrier card than your existing 7600GT but it should work fine, at worst you'd be looking at a PSU upgrade. Both use 90nm but 7600GT has 12 pipes with 560/1400 clocks (128bitDDR) while 7900GTO has 24 pipes with 650/1320 clocks (256bitDDR).

:D Finally YES the 7900GTO is often faster than the 7950GT, in speed order the cards line up as so; 7900GS, 7900GT, 7950GT, 7900GTO & 7900GTX (fastest). The 7900GTO has the 7900GTX core speed but is much cheaper because it uses 7900GS RAM and although this slows it down it doesn't do so enough to drop below the 7950GT (which has a slightly slower core but slightly faster RAM). Curse nVidia for mis-naming their cards and adding even more confusion in the gfx market.

6. BFGunrunner

:eek: I would never think my 7600 GT could bottleneck my cpu...
    But then again I read up that even a 6800 GT could bottleneck a P4 3.2 GHz in some tests at a low res.
    I think the 7600 GT is slightly more fast then the 6800 GT I could be wrong.

Alright I will be getting the 7900 GTO and I will see a big diffrance from my 7600?
    Well I have never owned such a huge card I recall cards with this kind of power need special adaters for em to fire up... Is this true? If so How do they look like and where can I find one?

I like upping the res in games and cranking up the settings to ultra who dosen't? :rock:

7. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

i think you need so spend money on the CPU, Mobo and RAM before you upgrade your GPu....

im still happy plying BF2 and CS:S on a 9700 Pro...! :)

8. BFGunrunner

Well I will be upgrading my ram to 2 GB's in tottal, I don't see why I would need an entire upgrade just for a video card! BTW How will yu know yu never owned a more powerfull card than the 9700 pro. even though they owned for years!

I'll probally upgrade my whole pc probally by the time DDR3 and Quad CPU's and DX 10 are mainstream!
    Hopefully by then I will have a job that could keep up with my expensive hoobies :)

9. Austin

Austin Minimodder

;) He doesn't need to own a faster card to know the pros and cons. The problem you often get by having a super-fast gfx card with a slower CPU is that the gfx card's performance is effectively held back minimising the difference between that super-fast gfx card and a mid-speed one. You should find you get a very small hit for enabling AA+AF, upping details and increasing res but to get the most out of a super-fast gfx card you really should couple it with a fast CPU (and a fast gfx card with a pretty fast CPU etc). There's generally little point in putting a slower CPU with a fast gfx card just like there's even less point putting a slower gfx card with a fast CPU. This was a problem for a lot of AthlonXP owners who had a 9800Pro or similar. If they upgrade the CPU the gfx card isn't going to give much extra performance just like if they upgrade the gfx card (eg 6800GT) the CPU will hold it back and prevent much extra performance. What they really needed to do was upgrade both.

:thumb: This is a big reason why most gfx reviews utilise very fast CPUs, to ensure the maximum gfx potential is shown. If a slower CPU is used the benchmark results for each card will tend to become very similar and the faster cards tend to lose the most performance. If you look hard you should find some sites doing 'CPU Scaling' where they test with a couple of different CPUs.

10. BFGunrunner

I don't really care for the cards full poentail just as long as I will be able to play newer games at higher res becuase I'll be getting a new LCD mointior right now I only have a CTR.
    Well I like to up the details! I found that when I play CSS at 1280*1024 I get a small FPS very increase vs playing at 1024* this is what a bottleneck is, right?

If profromace gets in the way were I get lag, then I'll be getting a new cpu with and motherboard becuase my motherboard only supports P4 so they'll be no point on getting anthor P4.

Edit: I just read this artical you're right! www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjMy
    So I'll also need to get a new cpu as well... I'm thinking the X2 4200+ just to keep it quick and cheap. ;)

Last edited: 16 Oct 2006
  11. WeldZilla

WeldZilla What's a Dremel?

You mind telling me just which board you have that will run PCI express and an old 478 socket.

WZ

12. francat

francat What's a Dremel?

I think that the 7950 GT is much faster and better that 7900 GT because it have 512 MB and the clocks are very fast compared whit the 7900 GT.
    Also the 7950 GT Applying the OC, it will can be like the 7900 GTX...

Sorry for my way of writing because i´m from Chile, and not speak english.

13. BFGunrunner

14. Austin

Austin Minimodder

;) There's very little point in going for AM2 for Athlon64, get 939 and keep your DDR(1). If switching to DDR2 then Intel's C2D makes acres more sense. AM2 is likely to have the longest life but 939 is very mature and pretty cheap (esp if you keep your DDR1) while C2D offers a whole lot more performance.

15. keith_j_snyder2

keith_j_snyder2 What's a Dremel?

Dude...This might look odd to u but DX 10 is the next big thing!!!If u haven't got the 7900 or 7950 series GPU then wait for few weeks the DX 10 cards like 8800 GTX & GTS 'll be in the house :rock: ...Besides that 7600 GT is a decent card.I 'll suggest stick with it for little more time...

Last edited: 19 Oct 2006
  16. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Why do you need eVag? Go out and pick up some real girls!

17. BFGunrunner

Alright I'll be going DX 10 with my new AMD rig I'm getting this motherboard

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1179727

Along with this cpu
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1447057

And this stick of ram I'd go for 2 but I only have 500 dollars to spend

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1430963&Sku=K24-4909

With that setup I doubt that any video card I get will bottleneck it anytime soon.Not to bad for under 500 dollars =)

18. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:confused: Why not just buy A64-X2_3800+ and o/c? Also you're not seriously thinking of running a single 512MB stick are you? You really want 1GB as a modern minimum with 2GB being far more ideal for a high-end system. A64 systems perform optimally with 2 sticks so it is ideal to go 2x1GB rather than 2x512MB with the intention of adding 2x512MB later. The main problem with running a single stick is halving your memory bandwidth due to losing dual-channel which is likely to hurt you with dual-core.

19. BFGunrunner

Alright than I'll try and get a cheaper cpu and anthor gig of ram running em in dual channle So I'll have 4x512's.
    I was oringnal going to have 1.5 GB of ram 1 Gig from this pc and 512 bought new in addtion to having a 4800+.

Is an X2 4800+ just an oc'ed X2 3800+ or somthing? :eeek:

Is this any better?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1446873&CatId=1948

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=84387&CatId=1352

+ And adding my old ram.

With that same motherboard I listed.

Last edited: 20 Oct 2006
  20. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:thumb: You really don't want to try running 3 sticks of RAM on A64 systems, either use 2x512MB or 2x1GB or 4x512MB (T2). The A64-X2_4800+ is more like an o/c'ed X2_4200+ (or vice versa) as it has 1MB cache per core. However A64 only gains very minimal perf from the larger cache so it's up to individuals to decide how much they're willing to pay for the privilege. The CPUs with the same cache are essentially the same thing, AMD either set a specific multiplier (and hence speed/rating) due to the CPU's own unique ability (or inability) or market demand. A lot of the time it's the latter, most A64-X2 are very likely to o/c to around 2.4ghz delivering virtually identical performance as the stock part (X2_4600+ for 2x512K or X2_4800+ for 2x1MB). There's always a chance your CPU won't o/c much, if that happens you can resell it and try another but chances are it will do well enough esp considering the savings. Even with the lowly X2_3800+ it's just as likely to do 2.6ghz as it is to top out at 2.2ghz, if not more likely. If you're buying a decent mobo with o/c'ing features it makes sense to save a little on the CPU by o/c'ing. The memory should be fine, if you like pop along to the mobo's own website or user forums and ensure there are no reports of compatibility problems (which I'm sure there aren't).

Tags: