1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Apple 20" cinematic display on a PC?

Discussion in 'Software' started by OneSeventeen, 17 Oct 2006.

1. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

No kidding, I just found an Apple 20" Cinematic Display at work!

I'm using a samsung 17" FPD on my PC now, and would love to test out the 20" display from apple.

(because if it doesn't work it needs to be repaired soon so it can be used, it is just insane to have one of these in storage!!)

So what does it take to run a 20" cinematic display on a PC? Any ideas?

2. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

no reason why it wont just work its dvi. also has usb and firewire hub on it if that takes your fancy

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Dude, can you find one for me? :p

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Just plug it in. If the display works, it should be recognized (after a reboot of course; Macs don't suffer that curse). If not, then send it off for repairs, as it's broken.

5. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

depends if its a new one or not.

NEW STYLE
    [​IMG]

OLD STYLE
    [​IMG]

if it is a new one, ja its just DVI, otherwise you will need an ADC-to-DVI adaptor such as http://www.welovemacs.com/mcadviadc.html

Not to be confused with cables that operate the other way round, these are not dumb devices and contain electronics.

Last time I messed with this, I couldnt set the display up on a PC so you will need a mac to do it. (the old style Apple cinema at least)

6. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Totally the new style.

Now, here's another question, if I want to hook this monitor up 50' away from the computer, can I just run a 50' Single Link DVI cable?
    (the store states the 20" and 23" only require single link, and the 30" requires dual link, but I wanted to check before purchasing)

7. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

yep§

8. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

9. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

You may have a few problems if you want a DVI output over 50 feet! I believe the DVI specs state 15 feet or so before signal loss. If worst comes to the worse you will have to convert it to VGA, or perhaps the linked cable will be decent enough quality to maintain signal...

10. Noni

Noni What's a Dremel?

Hurry up and get the TFT!!! It costs around £300+ new!

11. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Yeah, I just figured I'd ask the apple guys to be sure about the specifics on apple interfaces.

The cable you linked to looks good, but costs about 10 times the amount as other single-link cables of the same length, and now that I know single link will work, I'll just grab some from my tech supplier.

Unfortunately most DVI extension cables I've found are Male to Male, so I'm going to have to buy some gender changers as well.

Oh well, it looks like just over $100 to extend 2 monitors 25 feet. In the long run, a worthy investment IMO.

12. JRY

JRY What's a Dremel?

I think its about £500+ :p

13. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

Just a quick update, as the IT Administrator at my work, I like to evaluate need and costs before deploying hardware, and so the mature side of me went and found a better use for the 20" widescreen than my admin computer. (considering the fact I primarily use my computer for the web, office, and remoting into servers, I don't feel there is much of a need for an awesome monitor.)

Needless to say, someone else jumped at the opportunity, and our video room now has a nice 20" Cinematic Display on their Power Mac G5. (upgrading them from a 17" LCD)

The best part about this was I found out we had a video room! (good to know so if one of the media machines goes down I can know what people are talking about when they mention the video control room) I also noticed a 42" plasma not being used in the video room.... maybe they'll trade with me?!

14. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

If its the current model, then it will work on anything that has DVI. The old ones are ADC; you'll need an adapter.

But uhm, what company do you work for? :D

L

OOPS, already answered.

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

How the heck are you an IT admin and unaware that you have a video control room? There's gotta be a computer in there...

16. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I've been here about a month, and the previous IT Admin was gone a week or so before I even started, so we didn't have any overlap unfortunately.

And since we're a windows network there are all kinds of tech support issues keeping me from being able to explore. :p

But hopefully over the next 5 or 10 years I'll have them all migrated to some form of *nix, whether that's Ubuntu, BSD, or OSX.

Tags: