1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Firefox 2.0 Final out a day early

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 23 Oct 2006.

1. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Mine is still build 2006101023 and hasn't prompted me to upgrade

2. c.u.later

c.u.later What's a Dremel?

its looking good though, "seems" to run smoother than 1.5 did on this machine, good work mozilla!

c.u.later

3. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Im debating installing it on the school computer im on right now.

4. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

well, half an hour in, it has crashed. Maybe it was just trying to show me the "restore session" feature. That crashed it again though.
    And then, just as I was about to write that, it froze again!
    It's odd. Both crashes happened when I navigated to a page on the bit forums. Maybe it doesn't like something in Vbulletin....

Apart from that, I really like the idea of the inline spell checking, but the dictionary is woefully bad. Keep having to pop up to the google bar to get the correct spelling. I think it is learning without me telling it to though. Thumbs up on that one.
    Think I will try IE7 in a bit.

5. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

6. dom_

dom_ --->

^^^^^^^^^^

7. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

:thumb: (though I set mine to "2")

Sadly that's the Achilles heal of FF. I lost 4/8 (AspellFox, Fasterfox, Tab Mix Plus, & Tabbrowser Preferences) but some of those functions are now integrated. I also lost the theme I was using. Spell check works nice though :thumb:

8. quack

quack Minimodder

RC3.

You can force extension compatibility with Nightly Tester Tools in most cases (until the extension is properly updated).

Fasterfox works great after forcing, and there's an updated TabMix Plus on the official site.

9. Ben

Ben What's a Dremel?

Install the "nightly tester tools" extension, it can disable the extension version check and dose some other things. A lot of extentions still work fine.

edit: bah quack.

10. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

ahh!!! it killed my blackjapan theme! too much gray! hopefully it'll get updated soon its a popular theme. killed a couple extensions, but they're integrated now like tab-x. speelcheckar is sweet!

should this really be 2.0? the changes seem minor to me. seems like it should be 1.6 or something. but then again how much more can browsers be improved? maybe a 3d browser! I call patent!

to the above crapintosh fans ^^^ I got opera a month ago and meh. its okay i guess. its nothing special. Firefox larger user base means more people to work on improving it and adding themes, extensions, so unless opera surpasses ff in popularity I'll stick with ff. I will Never trust ms with my internet again, they have run out of chances with me so not interested in ie7 or even ie10

11. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

The bookmarks synching extension that I previously used doesn't work with V2 - anyone found one that does work in V2?

12. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Everything seems fine with it, however has anyone noticed a slightly longer load time?

13. allforcarrie

allforcarrie Banned

:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

Now all i need is a theme to look like 1.5.
    FOUND IT!!

Last edited: 23 Oct 2006
  14. Spaced_invader

Spaced_invader What's a Dremel?

found a bug in it already lol after using it for all of 30 seconds.. if you close the last tab with the close tab cross the program doesn't exit, it just leaves you a blank tab... doesn't really seam like a feature to me lol...

15. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Agreed, however as long as people use anything except IE, I'm happy :thumb:

16. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

I like Opera a lot, it's a fantastic piece of software. But Firefox offers so much more customizability it's not even funny. Most people would be content with what you can do with Opera, but people like me use specialized extensions that aren't really available elsewhere.

I encourage people to at least upgrade to IE7. I like IE7, it's pretty good. What I dislike most is the horrible UI responsiveness when working with tabs. Sometimes it's snappy, and other times it gets stuck on a tooltip or something, which half shows up, then chugs for a few seconds before a tab opens or closes.

As for the "memory leak" in Firefox, yes, it is a page caching feature. I think it would be very wise to make it more blatantly optional, however. Even a simple "speed vs memory" question during install would be fine. Additionally, while I like things like built in spell checking and anti-phising, a better design approach would be to make them extensions which come with the installer. They would install by default, but still give users the option of removing or disabling them. This way you can easily cater to people who love such features and others who would curse it as bloat.

17. Drexial

Drexial Minimodder

well IE7 has left me no choice to go with FF (not that i wasnt going with firefox anyway) bit i figured i would give IE7 a try.... the adress bar doesnt work with any adress i have typed in it. if i type a phrase it sends me to google and the google search bar works.... but no adress does anything. i can still click on links on teh default MSN page and search.

18. gideon

gideon What's a Dremel?

It was leaked out a few days ago, but i like the new skin and haven't had any problems the last day :thumb:

19. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

It should be a release candidate that gets released, believe it or not ;)

20. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

you need to install the English dictionary as an add-on apparently ive just tried it and it work perfectly :D its got Microsoft word-like red underscores :D

Tags: Add Tags