1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Macbook not ejecting DVD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zr_ox, 1 Nov 2006.

1. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

I have a problem with a Macbook.

I inserted a DVD into the drive and it will no longer eject. Does anyone have any tricks to get it out?

Thanks

2. John_Edward

John_Edward What's a Dremel?

Dont know about laptops for sure, but usually CD and DVD drives have this tiiiiny small hole in the front.
    Push in there with something like a tiny screwdriver, and the tray should open a little.
    Then just pull it open :)

3. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

There should be a small button on the inside, push that with a mangled paper clip, it should eject then. At least that's how the older iMacs were.

4. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

its a slot drive and if its anything like my previous powerbook it doesnt have the hole in it..

hold down eject then press the on buton. should work, always did for me anyway

5. Mimic

Mimic What's a Dremel?

Hold down the mouse button once you hear the Mac startup chime, it will force eject the disc in the drive.

Also on some books the disk hits the top of the case when trying to eject so gets sucked back in. if u insert some very thin card upwards about 1cm into the slot then try to eject it help guide it out. but take care.

hope that helps

6. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Yeah its a slot loading one so there is no chance to use the paper clip trick. I will try the other two suggestions though. Thanks a lot guys

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Just out of curiosity, are you running Parallels? I've had odd things like that happen when using it since the disk is mounted in two different OSes.

But holding the trackpad button as you power on should do it. If it doesn't, there's very likely something wrong with the drive itself.

8. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

had this problem with a thicker than normal disk (thin film on the top to prevent scratching) its well documented that the drive has problems with these sometimes and i ended up holding the laptop at a ~45 degree angle with the drive pointing down while ejecting.

This is all under the assumption that its actually trying to eject but cant rather than refusing to even try to eject...

9. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Just to clarify my suggestion, the paper clip does work on some slot loading drive, like the one found in early slot loading iMac generation. like this one. :)
    [​IMG]

10. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

I will have another chance to try ejecting the offending DVD tomorrow.

Many many thanks for the tips guys :thumb: