1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New box, need an EATX case. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Overlord2kx, 3 Nov 2006.

1. Overlord2kx

Overlord2kx What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone,

Long time lurker, finally decided to make an account. Basically, im building a new Dual Opteron workstation for myself. I got the parts at a pretty good deal, so Im going to replace my DFI LanParty NF4SLIDR 3500+ box with a Tyan K8WE and two AMD Opteron 250's @ 2.4ghz. I have the CPUs, Heatsinks, motherboard, and RAM. The only thing that I cant pull from my old box is the case, since the K8WE requires an EATX case.

Honestly, I am having a hard time finding a non-rackmount EATX case that doesnt look like crap. I saw the Thermaltake EATX cases, but they dont look too great. Im not one for the crazy looking designs.

I was looking at the Antec Titan 550, which I will probably go with if nothing else pops up. But I figured, I might as well ask around. Does anyone know of a good Extended ATX case that isnt insanely expensive? Im looking to spend less than 200 on the case, unless it is *very* sexy :p

Thanks.

2. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

silverstone tj09 for the 200+ but very sexy, and try a chieftec dragon for the dirt cheap-ness.

3. Philipp

Philipp What's a Dremel?

All Chieftec cases (except the Dragon, Maestro and Giga series) will take EATX-Boards*. However I don't know if full length PCI cards fit inside.

HTH,
    Philipp

* According to their website

4. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Lian-Li V1200 for some class. Can be had for around $220

5. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

I've got the Antec Titan 550 and really like it. It's a pretty good choice.

6. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

V-1200. Short, classy, enough room inside to work in.

7. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

i gotta vote for the old school lian li pc 7x series - if you cant fit an eatx board in there you did something really wrong.

the pc71 is damn sexy, and i have been abusing one for almost 6 years now. even with all the chunks i have cut out, and the structural changes i made, it is still solid as a rock.

8. FaiNT`

FaiNT` What's a Dremel?

Most of the Lian Li Full tower cases support EATX. Although it isn't stated on most of the shopping sites, it is stated expressely on Lian Li's site which ones do and don't support EATX.

9. Amjedm

Amjedm Minimodder

Akasa Eclipse/Mirage. Excellent cases.

10. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

silverstone: TJ03(dream machone 04), TJ05, TJ06, TJ07(dream machine 05), TJ09 (dream machine 06) all wonderful cases and very very highly awarded! well worth the money in my opinion

11. Overlord2kx

Overlord2kx What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I ended up going with the Lian Li PC-75b (full tower). I was strongly considering the Titan 550 from Antec because it didnt look overly tall, but I really wanted a case that came with a window already installed. I also wanted aluminum. So, PC-75b it was! Should be here tomorrow I think.

Thanks for all of the input everyone.

12. Mighty Yoshimi

Mighty Yoshimi Motormouth

good choice ;)