1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News NVIDIA recalls GeForce 8800 GTX batch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 6 Nov 2006.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

g80 has felt rushed to me and I'm thinking this may be the result of that. I understand the desire to beat ati to dx10 and next gen grafx and even applaud a tech company pushing the envelope but quality should come first. Mostly though I think they should have let g80 bake in the labs a bit more to work on power consumption or at least some low power mode for normal desktop usage, but perhaps that will come with drivers but really it should never have two pcie power connectors, thats ridiculous. hopefully with the next die shrink and further improvements they will get the 8900 series to reasonable levels. I think I'll have to skip these though, I live in a very old apartment complex and the wiring isnt that great; add in a phase change to cool the freakin card and I think I might blow a fuse. :rolleyes:

3. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Rushed? No. It's just because you havent had details strewn out about it for like, 6 months. It's only recently that the Inq and a few other sites have actual details on it, most people have kept to the NDA. The only other option for power consumption for something with that many trannies is a whole new process (65nm) that requires an entire rehawl for the chip FAB and will put them 6 months behind. It's not an option considering DX10 is right around the corner. You don't need phase change and two power connectors is no different from running SLI.

4. zr_ox

zr_ox Whooolapoook

Just as long as this does not delay Tim's review on Wed :thumb:

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

hopefully it won't, but I've got a few long nights ahead of me. :)

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Poor poor Tim. :p
    You want to change? You go to my university and I'll do the benchies for you. :D

7. LoneArchon

LoneArchon What's a Dremel?

According to this site power consumption under load is only 4% higher than the current king of the hill the Radeon x1950xtx http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4812
    I really would like to know about the dual Sli Connectors it has

8. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

I'm seriously salivating at the thought that a whole new generation of GPUs (by all accounts G80 is far more revolutionary than the incremental steps taken with the 6xxx and 7xxx GPUs, impressive though they were). Roll on Wednesday!!!

9. JADS

JADS Et arma et verba vulnerant

It'll be cool to see how it performs, but somewhat depressing to know that every single card using the chip will be identical. I mean what is the point of having different manufacturers if they all produce identical products?

10. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Ever it was thus with graphics cards. Manufacturers will differentiate on cooling solutions (though the first batch will likely mostly use reference coolers, especially if NVidia has produced a decent reference design), clock speeds, software bundles, warranties and price.

11. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

i'd look to r600 launch for different designs on the 8800 what better way to combat X2000? than a high power cooler and uber high clock speeds

12. meserlian

meserlian What's a Dremel?

the only reason i am waiting for this card to come out is because i am hoping it would make the other cards go cheaper, i am looking forward to buy a high end Dell Xps m1710 this x-mas :).

Tags: Add Tags