1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Linux geek gets Dell to splash out for Windows

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 9 Nov 2006.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

SCORE!!!! :clap:

you know, this sort of thing just might be the imputes it takes to get system builders like Dell to offer bare (OS free) laptops. I would say that this is another small step towards real choice in OSes for the mainsteam market.

3. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Thats quite good for the linux geek, and it doesnt really affect anyone, as dell are so huge, but if someone did it to me (I sell laptops and computers) it'd eat right into my proffits, and put me at a loss for the laptop - so not that great if everyone starts doing it...

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Genius, thats the problem with Laptops, they don't give you much choice as its hard to get the parts to build laptops.

5. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Nice one! :D
    My school bought some dell desktops and had the choice to buy it without Windows so the got a copy of FreeDos. We didnt use it as we installed Linux on them for tests.

6. Cthippo

I'm curious about that. Do you get them in a box and sell them or do you do anything to them? If you get them in a box, do you think you could go back to your supplier and get them to eat the cost? Ultimatly that's where the pressure needs to be applied andwhile this is a win for individals, the real pressure will come when stores choose to carry Brand X over brand Y because X offers bare lappys.

This would not be an issue if you could buy a bare laptop.

7. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I bet if I went back to sony with my laptops for a refund of win xp because I dont want it, that they would laugh at me and say get lost.

But there should be the option to buy a laptop or desktop without windows already installed. This is why Microsoft has the monopoly. It would also mean cheaper laptops without MS thrown in there.

But they wont do that because piracy would increase because the cosumers would buy the laptop without MS XP and get a pirate copy of XP which will save them cash as its so much more benificial. As if they buy the laptop with MS XP then why wont get a pirate copy as there is no point.

8. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

We get them in boxed and ready to roll. I suppose I could go back to the supplier, but Im not sure how successful that would be, as I'm only a very small reseller, and they'd probably just say get lost as I'd be no loss to the company!

I do agree that 'no os' should be an option on all computers and laptops, though.

9. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

I saw a comment on /. saying that this is most likely a mistake: People did this all the time in the late 1990s, then Microsoft changed part of the EULA on OEM versions of Windows to say that the license must stay with the hardware. Therefore this guy must have bitched at them for hours, or spoke to a new guy who hadn't been told about the agreement.

10. Cthippo

That could be. It could also be that Dell decided that 50 quid was worth it not to piss off a paying customer and that someone who installed linux was highly unlikley to call tech support, which is probably one of their biggest costs. Hell, in the end, this might actually increase their margins :thumb:

11. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Maybe, but the dell support line certainly isn't freephone!

12. sicone

sicone What's a Dremel?

Here where I work we order pc's from Dell without an OS installed all the time. Never had any problems so far

13. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

I would buy a laptop without windows just so I don't get ****** stickers plastered all over it.

Now if only you could get them to stop putting the Intel one on.... ;)

14. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

When I got my 2 sony laptops, the first thing i did before powering them up was spend 10 mins peeling all the stupid stickers off and cleaning up with a can of WD40. :)

15. zhangmaster12

zhangmaster12 What's a Dremel?

dam genius

16. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

In which case, since Microsoft can only sell their product by forcing it on people, isn't it on them to make a product that people actually want to pay for.
    I agree with you to some extent, mainly due to the inevitable increase in WGA "protection" if computers were sold sans Windows.
    The whole issue has something wrong with it though. Computer manufacturers SHOULD be required to offer no OS on new hardware. But I can also see massive problems with this where a normal users see no differentiation between "Windows" and a "Computer".

Maybe the industry should force ALL programs and games to be able to be run on any OS. That would sort things out...... probably.

Tags: Add Tags