1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii / Wii U Video: Wii unboxing and setup

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by olly_lewis, 12 Nov 2006.

1. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

This surfaced a few days ago on engadgetengadget , its the Wii ladies and gentlemen and its unboxed and hooked up for all you to marvel at. Quite interesting to see the final model unboxed, gawked at and installed... Gives you a real idea of its size, weight and how easy it is to hook it up, especially if you haven't seen one in the flesh yet...

The video is here ...

I was surprised that the model Ryan Block got his hands on doesn't come with a HDMI or component connections, I wasn't aware of the Wii's final video specs but I did expect there to be component out, at least... But this could change in the near future when Wii's are released with HD outputs or HD leads themselves. We will have to wait and see.

What are your opinions on the interface and other options? Overall I like it, but the IM or "Mii system" seemed pointless, especially when entering names and selecting your Mii's features from a list, using the Wii remote... just seemed too time consuming to be worth it, but what do you think?

2. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

it wont come with hdmi as it isnt made to output in high def

3. orb

orb satisfying.

It's sad that the Wii doesn't do HD at all :( Bad move by Nintendo imo.

4. Springs

Springs Boing boing

yes but nintendo have always said that they prefer gameplay to graphics... if u think them not putting HD in it was wrong.. they have only just put a dvd player in it...

5. olly_lewis

olly_lewis What's a Dremel?

Though they might prefer graphics over game play, HD is a more high quality and detailed viewing technology and would of made game play and DVDs seem better and more detailed by upscaling it, but of course they didn't do that... HD would of also made textures and tones brighter, though they are considered "graphical" it would of made it a much nicer to look at..

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah I'm not sure why they didn't include HD output, it's not making the graphics better, it's just making the picture clearer. But nintendo has always been behind on the harware front since the 64, and unfortuneatly, apart from some nice gems, the gaming front too.

I think not developing the Wii graphically was to save them money incase it turned into a flop, I've heard mixed things from people who've played it, some said it's great, others just thought it was good, but a gimmick.

7. ChriX

ChriX ^

Reminds me of the early days of the DS... now look where it is. I got a PSP last year due to all the OMG PSP hype and sold it to get a DS shortly after, when I realised it sucked. :)

Hopefully the gimmicky one will be the right choice for me this time.

As for HD, I don't think it needs it, not yet anyway. Think of all the kids who play consoles on their 14" CRTs in their rooms, I don't believe they are all going to upgrade to HDTVs just because a new console is out, no matter which one they choose. I know people that want a PS3 yet have no intention of upgrading their tiny CRT TV. Obviously the majority of people on here would, but that's due to the nature of the site. As for me, I don't have a HDTV, and I doubt I will for at least 18 months.

Last edited: 13 Nov 2006
  8. Darv

Darv Bling!!

You can get a component cable to output to 480P though, which should look pretty good. I also think what they've gained from not going HD is better than some shiny graphics:

It's small, quiet, the system and games are cheaper, there's more emphasis on gameplay than graphics, it will run at a decent framerate all the time, etc.

I have an HDTV, but I'm not bothered about the graphics, if I want decent graphics I'll play and Xbox or my PC.

9. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I'm using my computer monitor with my 360 (as no HD TV for me yet), so it would have been a potch to have to disconnect it every time I wanted to use the Wii (or the PS3 if I get one). tbh, I'm quite happy it's sticking with standard def.

I haven't pre-ordered one yet (I'd rather wait until they decide to offer a choice of colours), but my brother did on the weekend (so I'll still get to play it :D)

10. acron^

acron^ ePeen++;

Graphics, graphics, graphics, graphics, graphics, GRAPHICS! WE NEED MORE GRAPHICS!
    Bah.

11. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

If they had HD output, doesnt that mean that it would have to be more powerfull, therefor bigger and more expensive?

All i want to know is how to connect it to my pc screen. Its got svid...

12. unrealhippie

unrealhippie What's a Dremel?

TBH HD isnt the end of the world..

Whats really annoying is that the name Wii is meant to mean i i (as in 2 people!)

Yet you only get one controller and so NEED to buy a £30 remote and £15 nunchuck ontop! That brings its price close to the 360....

13. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Yeah, I thought that was kind of funny myself. They're emphasizing more then one person and even packaging in Wii SPorts (which is better played with more then one person) yet they only pack in one controller.

Personally, I want one, but I"m going to wait awhile before I buy one. This will be the first Nintendo made home entertainment console (not counting the Virtual Boy as I didn't buy one at all) that I have not bought on the day of launch. My NES, SNES, N64, and GAMECUBE are all launch day consoles and all work flawlessly (except the damn GAMECUBE which needs it's lens recalibrated every so often.)

14. fathom17

fathom17 What's a Dremel?

Its not that straight forward just to make the Wii HD. Being HD needs much more gfx RAM for the frame buffers. Then theres the textures that would look worse if their not at the res of the output on screen (hence mipmapping). It would have been a massive architecture investment that i guess nintendo weren't prepared to invest in.

15. Bendill

Bendill What's a Dremel?

I think Nintendo steered away from overcomplicating the console to be able to profit from selling them. Nintendo can't afford to lose money on every sold console like Sony and Microsoft, they don't have the financial backing the other two do...

HD is cool and all, but where I live, it's only the elite that have HD ready TV sets. I sure as hell wouldn't pay 3000 euros to be able to see some fancy schmancy graphics. That's how much some of us need to pay for a decent HD TV..

16. Chuff_72

Chuff_72 What's a Dremel?

So... DO you live in a snow house? :D

17. ChriX

ChriX ^

He couldn't have a 360 or PS3 if he did because the snow would melt. Ho ho... :p

18. Bendill

Bendill What's a Dremel?

As a matter of fact I do, it's quite nice, you get used to the cold. Electricity is a b"#=& though, keeps shorting out when the computers melt all the snow... :eyebrow:

19. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Nintendo has alot more money then what you think they do. They could completely bomb the Wii out and would more then likely be in for another round. That little handheld called the GameBoy kinda helped build up their massive amounts of money in their war chest. Plus franchises like Zelda, Mario, and Pokemon kinda help too.

20. Chuff_72

Chuff_72 What's a Dremel?

True, and I doubt very much that they have ever had to sell one of their consoles at a loss, they learned that the hard way with the N64!

On a related note (surprised this isn't on Bit-Tech yet) Reuters have just reported on the loss that Microsoft and Sony make per console sold, 360 = $75 (approx) loss per console sold, *deep breath* 60gb PS3 = $250 (approx), wait for it 20gb = $330!!! PER CONSOLE SOLD!!!!! How'd you like them apples.

Tags: