1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new material! but no clue for what to use..(update:first black/blue tubes are ready)

Discussion in 'Modding' started by thechoozen, 13 Nov 2006.

?

Do you like this color combination?

1. Yes

30 vote(s)
    81.1%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  1. gideon

gideon What's a Dremel?

It looks a bit like those plastic things you have in swimming pools when there is a water connection from inside the pool to the outside*. is it more like that stuff?

*looks like thise

____________ceiling
    ||||||||||||| flaps
    |||||||||||||
    ^^^^^^^^ water

2. bumfluff

bumfluff What's a Dremel?

You should make looms/cable wrap out of the stuff it would be really popular.

3. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Minimodder

i'm very interested in the black/uv blue, especially if it can be made into rigid sheets.

4. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

as soon as possible! but there are several things to do before so it will take a short while...... but i keep you informed!

i think i could make a short vid in the next days...(no videocam here right now)

yeah i think it´s really similar to that, but those connections sheets in swimming pools are much more rigid.......(in other words the new material is much softer)

thats why i made some strings from this material.....it´s perfect for cable sleeving (rounding) because you can wrap it easy around the cables and then fix it with your solderiron.....

5. mischa

mischa What's a Dremel?

hm, schade, pix dont work.

6. JCG

JCG What's a Dremel?

hmm, maybe use it as wallpaper. red walls by day, and at night turn on your UV light and you'll have blue walls :D. Or if you could make fibres out of it, you'll have the ultimate shirt of a rave party.

7. THEkorean

THEkorean 42

WOW thats some awesome stuff, i would definately be intreersted in buying some of this stuff especially if you could make tubing out of it for watercooling systems.

8. Sphering

Sphering What's a Dremel?

Good idea...Is it possible to make it into tubes for water-cooling maybe?

Last edited: 16 Nov 2006
  9. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

watercooling tubing is mostly made of flexible PVC right? this should work too then...

What will the price of this stuff, like per square meter... very interested in buying already :)

10. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

sure! it´s nearly the same base material.....i already produce the normal colors like iceblue, red, yellow, green, blue for watercooling systems but the new colorchanging material must first be produced...but i think it wouldn´t take much time i just have to adjust the machines in the right way and that will be done as soon as possible.....

The normal colors you can get via my signature or via ebay just search for babetech - custom computer

oh up to now i haven´t really calculated it (because i first want to see if it is worth to produce something like that before i make a ton of it, but the reaction on the materials are so good that i will do it in the next days.)
    but i think it will be in the same direction like normal pvc, plexi, tubings, strings...

11. Phat Ass

Phat Ass What's a Dremel?

If you want an interesting case idea for this stuff, assuming you could make the combo in a rigid sheet. Have it black under normal light, make a case from it, internally lit to that it mecomes semi clear in whatever colour (red/green/blue/white) you choose. That way its effectively a gloss finish black case, that goes clear at the flick of a switch. Not a fan of pleaxi cases myself so you should do that as a showpiece of the material.

12. nuki

nuki What's a Dremel?

wow, that smooth plexi rocks. Maybe there is a possibility to "fix" the shape of the smooth one as well? like its soft in the beginning, and when you bake it it turns hard...maybe with some liquid keeping it soft that vaporizes under heat.

That wold solve all my problems and would offer a real great opportunity of sculping with acrylic.

Anyway, allready a great material, cant wait to see more. Good to have a shop that actually goes to the forums and looks what the modders want. keep it up

-nuki

13. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

me too....

i think i now what you mean.....but the big problem is....if you make a really dark plastic like the black strings are you won´t be able to make it clear up just with a light ......but i think it is possible to make a color which is dark (like the black acryan stuff....it isn´t really black when you look through but attached to a case it comes quiet close) and then turns iceblue, red etc. like the soft pvc.... ---> i will test that out....

really good idea i will try whats possible and keep you updated!!!

14. gideon

gideon What's a Dremel?

can you make "hard" sheets? would be nice for a window

15. kbn

kbn What's a Dremel?

This would work well if you were able to dye the plexi after its cut to shape (less wastefull, perfect fit when back together etc..). You would cut the plexi sheet into different sections depending on colour (black/black, black/yellow, black/orange, black/red for example - to make a fire), dye them with the uv seperatly and peice them back together.

How is the dye applyed? is it done while casting the plexi (so it gets coated evenly all the way through), or a surface coating that either stays on the surface or gets absorbed like vinil paint?

16. thechoozen

thechoozen Minimodder

oh you misunderstood.....it would be no problem to build a dark case which illuminates a flame.......like you say a lot of work with cutting and shapping the plastic in the right dimensions thats all.......

what i wanted to say is you can´t make a case which is so dark that you can´t lookthrough and then turn the lights on and you can look inside....

the material gets its color when it it a granulate.....it isnt just applyed on the surface

17. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

bump :)

could you make me a square meter of this stuff? and at what cost? (hope shipping isn't too pricey...) I'd love to try it for you, show some people how great this stuff is :)

18. ryodoan

ryodoan What's a Dremel?

This is some really cool looking stuff, I hope it goes into production.

19. tolis86

tolis86 What's a Dremel?

THATS coooool! :thumb:

20. Ultimate Gamer

Ultimate Gamer What's a Dremel?

very cool stuf i was woundering if you could ship me about 2 feet of any color and ill do some test on what you could do with it as i have uv lights and a buch of computers pm me if you want