1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD to launch 65nm Athlon 64 X2's next month?

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 27 Nov 2006.

1. Iago

Iago What's a Dremel?

Bear in mind that this isn't a move to reclaim any throne, not increase AMD's fans ePenis that don't have a Core "eRoccoSiffredi" 2 Duo ;). The 65nm move will be great for AMD because it will alleviate their problem they have providing chips to vendors.

AMD's CPUs are still selling like hotcakes. Perhaps not to enthusiasts, but really, the enthusiast market isn't the biggest. The Dell deal, low prices and mind share AMD won during the "Athlon vs P4" days mean that despite any C2D performance advantage, AMD is still selling every single chip they can make and then some more.

Moving to 65nm = more chips per wafer = more inventory to sell = better revenue = more money to invest on R&D = new toys (wich in the end, is all we care about :p ).

2. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

It is a fair point, the quady will have to be on 65nm so at least they will have got used to working on it.

That said, how long does it bloody take to design a native quad?? It is almost as if the R&D has been slowed so the supply to dell can be matched. GAY!

3. brumster

brumster What's a Dremel?

When I come to upgrade my S939 opty, unless I stick with processors that have been available for some time, it will also mean a mobo/ram upgrade. The likelihood of my choosing any AM2 over a C2D is practically nil due to the performance per pound. If new chips were released in S939 too AMD would have a whole lot better chance of keeping my custom (in this currently Intel dominated market).
    In fact wont somebody think of the children and formalise a semi-permanent socket design? :sigh:

4. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

couldnt agree more tbh

at the moment i kepe getting tempted by the new core2 stuff, but then realise, do i really need it? well, i can play all the games i want to play @ 1920x1200 maxxed out, therefore im happy :S so i dont need to spend the monies

but one thing i would like is a nice x2, 939, for this, but oww no they havent dropped there prices... am2 x2 is cheaper than 939 x2 :mad: GAH STUPID AMD

5. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Opterons, or at least 2xx series are socket 940, and as far as I know the old Opteron 940 socket isn't being changed. You might need a new mobo, but AFAIK AM2 is not coming to the Optys

6. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

the X2 AMD is no match for the C2D though right? Just so I am not gettin confused.

7. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

the c2d wipes the floor with any (be it am2 or 939) x2...

painful but true :( bah

...ill just chose who's best when its my time to buy (a month or so after x-mas)

Tags: Add Tags