1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which paint to use? And what body filler

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by andyl33t, 30 Nov 2006.

1. andyl33t

andyl33t What's a Dremel?

Hi, Im in the u.k and I was wondering what paints you guys use? I used halfords paint and it worked perfect, but i need some sort of clear coat thats not like a laquor. What clear coat would you recommend?

Also I have some body filler- cant remember the brand but they make a very popular brand of super-glue. After appling the filler, it is hard after it is fully dry, but i can still make a dent in it with my fingernail. Why is this? What body filler would you recommend?

2. itsjustacompaq

itsjustacompaq Minimodder

ummm... where are the pictures, where is the previous work. oh, wait, this isnt a work log. this should be in modding, not worklogs.

edit: wow, i sounded like a jerk there! didnt mean for it to sound that way, but e, take it how you will.

3. tkdwarrior

tkdwarrior What's a Dremel?

man any filler that doesn't react badly with the type of paint you are using. general purpose filler should be fine, spray putty is easy to work with.

Ring your local automotive paint supplies store and ask for their in-house clear-coat. If you dont think you need that kind of quality, then just normal spray varnish should work.

could you please move your thread to the modding section man - there's rules for a reason. i suggest you take a quick look over the FAQ (again) at very least.

Good luck.

4. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Halfords stock car body filler (P38 and P40) - you can pick them both up for about £10 in a twinpack. Also, B&Q stock Plasticote (I think) which I have found to be very good - and they've got a clear coat that you might prefer.

5. andyl33t

6. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

That stuff looks fine. The P38 and P40 are separate, one for large holes, the other for finer detailing. I'm not 100% sure if the clear coat is a matte finish, though you could probably get away with using a satin or matte base colour and then reduce the amount of layers of clear-coat?

7. andyl33t

I am perfectly aware of the rules of the forums, I accidently posted here. It was only a mistake, sorry.

I would not recommend that filler, its the one that I used and it isn't hard. Would the halfords laquar be good? It also says on the laquar that I should sand the final paint with 800 grit paint and then laquar it so I achieve a laquared finish, but won't this ruin the paint?

8. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Wet/dry sanding doesn't ruin the paint, if done properly - it's to get the best finish, by smoothing down the paint between each coat. Ensure that it is decent 800 grit wet/dry paper (or similar) and not a piece of crappy sandpaper.