1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding dell touchpad serial interface

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ahmad-al3omar, 24 Dec 2006.

1. ahmad-al3omar

ahmad-al3omar What's a Dremel?

dear all
    how can i make an interfacing between the dell touchpad and serial adapter

2. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

I detailed connecting a dell touchpad via ps/2 HERE

However converting it to serial is a totally different subject so to speak. As the mouse has to be built with both functionalities built in. It is the same thing with usb and ps2 mice.

Simply plugging the signals of a ps2 based mouse into a serial port with the correct driver will only work if the mouse itself supports the serial signals as well. For something as simple as the dell touchpads I doubt they do. But in my thread about mine I link to a lengthy pdf on the dell touchpads. pretty much everything you could ever want to know about them.

3. ahmad-al3omar

really i dont know how to make the connection between the ps2 and serial , i need the serial so i can make an interface it with the visual c++ for my project
    thanx

4. Warrior_Rocker

If you can give us some specifics about your touchpad we can probably be of much more help. Also the the pinouts to convert ps/2 to serial and vice versa can be found > Here <

However I must point out that the touchpad has to support serial signals to be able to be compatible. Also if you tell us more about what your intentions are with the touchpad perhaps we can help further.

5. ahmad-al3omar

thank you for your help
    about my touchpad
    ALPS 56AAA1805A
    24 LINE but every two lines are connected with each other so you can say it has 12 line.
    this is its picture in this link from site i dont know any thig in it because its language :
    http://rifer.ucoz.ru/publ/1-1-0-19

6. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

FYI ps/2 , seiral, usb and usb2 are the same system just running at greater speeds.

7. Warrior_Rocker

Serial uses transmit and recieve lines, usb does not. PS/2 has a data clock line that syncs the keyboard with the computer (at least I think thats what it does). USB has a single pair of data lines in twisted pair, and supports bidirectional talk on these lines, so does ps/2. Serial has dedicated lines for txd and rxd

It is possible for some mice to adapt to the port they are plugged into by outputting either serial signals or ps/2 signals and some usb signals. The ports themselves are in no way compatible with each other. That is why you have to buy products to adapt the ports if the device does not support it. Like serial to usb converters, and usb ps/2 y splitters.

8. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

I said system NOT hardware the ALL transmit using the serial protocall however PS2 is the slowest, serial next usb follows then usb 2 and sata.

Realy so WTF does the usb spec say 1 data transmit and 1 data recieve. *Deleted do to being unfair sorry warrior*
    A ps2/usb adapter is just a pass through connector.
    As i said to some one on a gaming forum Try reading.

Last edited: 25 Dec 2006
  9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

AJB2K3, I think you need to chill out as bit.

10. Warrior_Rocker

The adapters are indeed only pass through. Something I detailed in the other thread about these touchpads on the same page... hmm

And no, your right I dont know everything about usb, serial, ps/2 and sata. But I do know this. If they were so similar you wouldnt need microcontrollers and signal converters to connect them together. Unless the device you are hooking up has the ability to change the method in which is signals.

So if I get the dumbass award go ahead. It surely wouldnt be the first time. Arent we all just students of technology anyway.

11. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Sorry 2 beers and having to cook the roast (turkey, pork and lamb) will do that to you.
    I think you missing somehing.
    They use the serial protocal but they run at different speed so a micro cheep is used to translate the presse/moverment into the serial signal and transmit/recieve between device and pc.

I thought it was you doing the mod of this type so why hasn't the poster visited you thread?
    Ive deleted the rude comment and im sorry to have been so rude :duh: :duh: :duh: :waah: