1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Double Helix (1/03 Update: Done with Final Pics)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tm36usa, 2 Oct 2005.

1. Leeum

Leeum What's a Dremel?

Clean work mate, look forward to seeing more :)

2. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

looking good :) could you post a link to how to hook up a PSOne LCD to SVid please...i ddint know what could be done....it it can the im off to fleabay :D

3. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

I dont have a link, but all i've done is take a headphone jack to 2 rca (ones used to plug your mp3 into your stereo) and then connected a rca to svideo adaptor that came with my video card to that and it works. I hope that makes sense to you, if not Ill post some pics.

4. guy

guy What's a Dremel?

looks great, I've got the same case and was planning on a doing a few of these things myself, by the looks of it's gonna look awesome when it's all done.

5. GuardianStorm

GuardianStorm Minimodder

ah yes that makes sense :) off to fleaBay it is then :D

6. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Wow! Long Time, No Update! I wish I had more time to mod, but school is really taking a huge bite out of my free time. (with AP Tests coming up soon)

Anyway, not that much done, just got the real hardware to mount the case handles and the temp hardware for the window. I cant wait until I have more time to finish this beast. Hopefully I'll get the front pannel made so I can start plumbing the case.

Anyway, now onto the Pics:

Handles mounted for real:
    [​IMG]

And Now some detail on the way I mounted them. I had to use a nut becuase the store didnt have the right size screws and I used a fender washer to help displace the weight when the case is lifted. (I didnt make that nasty scratch, the case came with it :eeek: )
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now heres the window mounted with a temporay ccfl for light:
    [​IMG]

And a close up of the huge 40x4 Matrix Orbital Display
    [​IMG]

This week Im going to work on getting the front pannel finished. If anyone knows a good way to mount a PSone Screen, please tell me as I am at a loss for ideas. :thumb: See all of you next update! And Just like all the other logs, my log likes comments too: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=1078283#post1078283

7. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Nice work there.
    As to the ps1 screen:
    Where you gunna put it?
    Mount it on clear acrylic in a custom case.

8. Stubkier

Stubkier What's a Dremel?

Great to se a update.

Like the postition of the small display, it looks great and it also adds to the side of the case.

The green backlight of the display fits the colors of the case.

Best regards Stubkier

9. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

UPDATE!!!!!!

Well after not working on this case for more than a month I started again. I was so busy with school and tests. Now the major test (AP US History test) is over but I still have finals in a few weeks. Now that I have time to mod I really dont have much time to get most of it done. The shop at school that I do most of my cutting/drilling will be closing for the end of the school year next week. So I have to hurry and get the front pannel done. So Today I added the res lights and drilled out the front pannel acrylic.

Finished Hard Drive rack with led holders on:
    [​IMG]

Closeup of the chrome led holders:
    [​IMG]

Bottom of the rack (I plan to wire them plus all the other lights once I finish the front pannel)
    [​IMG]

The Rack in the Case (When the side pannel is on the led holders are covered)
    [​IMG]

And Finnaly, the res in the dark with the UV leds turned on. I cant wait to see what this looks like with the coolant in it :D
    [​IMG]

And just a preview of whats to come. As I said, I got the acrylic drilled for the front pannel today. Dont mind the popsicle stick, its just holding up the pannel.
    [​IMG]
    Dont worry about the switches not being straight, Im just test fitting them. I should have the metal part of the front pannel done on tuesday. After thats done, I only have to mount the ps1 screen and install the rest of the water cooling gear. Until next time, Comments Please.

10. parag0n

parag0n What's a Dremel?

Just checking, you've probably already cheacked this, but those bolts for the back handle dont get in the way of where you want your PSU to go do they?

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

also, how do you intend to mount your HDDs- is there enough space in the HDD rack with the micro-res?

also, i like the Idea with the matrix Orbital (5.25) but i would have liked to see it on top.

Other wise, looking great!!

12. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Nope, theres about a 1/2" gap between the top of the case and the powersupply so the bolts have some room. Even if they had hit the psu or the cd drive I could Just cut them down and remove the nut.

There is still enough room in the hdd rack to mount 3 hard drives with the res in there. As of right now I only have 2 drives (250gb sata as a system drive and a 200gb ide for storage)

I had thought about putting the display on top but this computer sits on my desk and when Im sitting down I cant see the top of it. And I couldnt put it on the floor because I'd never see the MO display on the side of the case.

Thanks for the comments

13. strikefighter2

strikefighter2 What's a Dremel?

thats gonna be one freaking nice case man. keep up the good work.

14. sk8ter646

sk8ter646 Minimodder

you have some really good ideas in this case keep it coming please

15. moddingchaos

moddingchaos What's a Dremel?

it's good the way you keep the style from the original case, and yet put so much on it.

clean style, keep going looking forward to see the final result.

16. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

It's coming along nicely! One question, how have you got your camera/lighting setup to take the pics, for example:

[​IMG]

???

17. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

I built myself a nice Lightbox out of some cardboard and some cardstock. I wrote a sort of how-to on my site: http://www.tm36usa.com/?page_id=5

I plan on building a big one to take the final pictures for this mod. Speaking of Finishing, this has to be done by the end of next month and it should be because there isnt that much left to do.

Heres a teaser pic of the next update:

[​IMG]

Should be back with a full update soon.

18. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Aha! Makes sense now. Thanks for the link, I'll set about making one sometime this week.

Nice teaser pic too!

19. tm36usa

tm36usa What's a Dremel?

Done. The hell is finally over. Now here’s the whole story how and why I hate it.

Rewind to July 27, 2006. I was trying to have the mod 100% done by a big lan my buddy and I were throwing on the 29th of July. I made real good time on the mod, got the front panel all don’t and wired up. (not a small feat, took a good 4 hours and some trips to the hardware store) Also got all the electronics for the rest of the case and wiring done. You may notice in the pictures below that there is no PS1 screen. I scraped that idea at this time and mounted the MDVA that I bought from Mashie in its place. (Amazing work on those little things mashie, I love mine) Well anyway here come the problems. I had the parts in the case, all ready for the water-cooling parts. Decided to do the cpu block first so I took the brand new RBX out of its box and took of the protective plastic on the block. To my horror, the adhesive remained on the block! Yup you guessed it, the other 2 blocks were messed up too.  I tried everything I could think of, short of gasoline, to get the goo off and then called Danger Den. They decided to have me RMA the blocks. Now I knew that it was impossible to get the computer up and running on water so I put it all back in its old case with air cooling and went to the lan. Blocks came back in a couple weeks and I threw them with the rest of this failing mod to collect dust.

Fast Forward to October. In one weekend I finished the whole thing, water-cooling and all. Now here’s where the new problems start. The rig would not over clock at all. I had a 3000+ Venice, one of the best overclockers out there at the time and it would not budge at all. Even without overclocking, the rig was still nice and fast so I was ok with it. (not really but I was stuck with it) So I let it leak test for the week and messed with it a lot. So on that Friday after school I decided to clear my mind with a little CS:S. Played 10 minutes and then my monitor went blank. Yep you guessed it. Dead video card. RMA’d the leadtek 6800GT and let the rig collect dust again.

Forward again to December. Got the video card back and put it in letting it run on air cooling for now. Worked for a week and then started artifacting like crazy and now wont even boot past safe mode. So I’m RMAing it again.

Forward to Now. Still no 6800gt, but the rig runs none the less. I’m borrowing an ATI AIW X800 from a friend and it gets the job done.

Final Thoughts: I wasn’t even gonna post the final pictures of the mod. I hate the thing, it’s a failure and that makes me ashamed of it. Perhaps I’m taking it too hard but that’s how I feel about it. If you guys knew half of what went wrong you would be amazed. Its also impractical too. Im heading off to Uni in 6 months and I don’t want to baby sit this rig when I have other very important things to do. This is why this computer will not becoming with me and in 5 months I will be building a brand new rig (keeping my old hdd’s) from scratch. I realized that the 2 Matrix Orbital lcd’s are overkill and not needed for me at all so those along with the water cooling parts will be sold off on bit-tech along with the PS1 screen and other tid-bits.

Thanks to Mr. Bishop for the letting me use the plotter and staying after school so I could work in the shop. Thanks to my parents for their help and support (and for holding me back from throwing this thing out my window) Thanks to the bit-tech community for all their help and comments. And last but not least, thanks to Accro, who convinced me to post the final results.

Anyway on with the final pictures (I only took 2 today as its 2 am and I couldn’t be bothered to turn on the lights. If anyone wants more, I'd be happy to take them.):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As always, let me know what you guys think.

20. accro

accro What's a Dremel?

\o/ Finally! LCD-madness, maybe some more lights to bring up those tubes. But yeah, it's great that you hate it :D