A/V 5.1 Sound System including DVD player

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kingdavies, 4 Jan 2007.

1. kingdavies

kingdavies Minimodder

Friend needs a new 5.1 sound system including DVD player after his Samsung http33 set recently broke and was told by the technicians it couldn't be repaired. He has £250 to spend; the system also needs additional inputs for connecting XBOX360, HDTV and PC.

Thanks
    Kingdavies

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I guess it depends how nuts he wants to go with it and how much of an audiophile he really is.
    I personally use a creative DDTS-100 (though creative have stopped making them as far as I know, but ebuyer still stock them) with a set of creative 5.1's plugged in. It has an input for PC and 3x opticals as well as a few stereo inputs.
    Something like that should satisfy most, sure the audio quality isn't as great as some stuff it seems to take most of the stuff I throw at it and sounds good to me :)

Obviously there are other paths to what you want to do but that's just the way I found easiest as I already had a set of PC 5.1's :)

3. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Have a look at the logitech Z5400 or the Z5500, have all sorts of inputs, what im trying to save up for :D the Z5450 has two wireless speakers, so thats what it is if you find them, i think its that model anyway

Sam

4. ab1385

ab1385 What's a Dremel?

Easy...

Yamaha AV59 amp and speakers package - £200 - Supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread at £250, now with £50 off. Bargain! Includes a Yamaha RXV-359 amplifier and Yamaha NSP110 speakers.

Toshiba SD360 DVD player - £60 - you could get any cheapish DVD player and would probably work fine as long as it had some sort of digital audio out, and whatever video method you choose. This one has HDMI (I'm sure I read somewhere that this is an upscaling DVD player as well) and is only £10 over budget, so why not?

Thats £260 plus any delivery on the AV59, plus speaker cable (for which I have found that even decent size mains cable is indistinguishable from more expensive stuff, on a £1000 plus system, so I doubt you'd hear a huge difference on a £250 system. Also, you could easily save on the DVD player, I bought a bargainous Toshiba SD330 off eBay last year, which is really good, for a tenner. :D

Last edited: 5 Jan 2007
  5. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Wow that Yamaha bundle is a bargain at £200. Plus you can upgrade it easily in the future. Good find!