1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V LCD/plasma

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rolo, 8 Jan 2007.

1. Rolo

Rolo Minimodder

I'm sure you've heard it a million times before, but im stumped *again*

Budget isnt really an issue, looking for something ~42" but as soon as i decide on one, some other douchebag tells me that i shouldnt get that one cos the life time on it is shorter than the other or what not.

Might be used for HTPC later but essentially its for my parents, so mainly TV use, obviously opinions on which is better for HTPC would be appreciated too, as ill be getting them one at some stage, and a TV for myself too (When i can save for long enough... :/)

I heard a lot about the richness in colour being LCD>plasma but the lifetime only about 60k hours, however i know john lewis offer a 5 year guarantee as standard and pricematch too :)

apologies on shortness, i have to dash back to work now unfortunately

my thanks in advance,
    Rolo

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Since price isn't an issue I'd go for something 1080p, and most 1080p sets at the moment are LCD.

Unless that is, price really isn't an issue and you could look at something like a Pioneer ELITE series 1080p plasma. Had a look at one of these not long ago and they're awfully pretty. I mean, wow. Simply runs circles around any of the new 1080p LCDs ive seen (with my dad being an home cinema nut and me visiting the parents over xmas, I've seen a few)

Don't listen to me though, or anyone else for that matter. No third party account of a set is a substitute for seeing it in the flesh.

edit: and the way I see it RE longevity - you're going to want a new telly by the time it dies anyway and much more exciting tech will be around so don't worry about it. (IMO)

Last edited: 8 Jan 2007
  3. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

I agree with Mister_Tad. Don't worry about what you've heard about the lifetime ratings too much, by the time it stops working you'll be looking to get a newer TV anyway - best thing is to see which looks better to you.

The only thing you might want to think about is the viewing angles - If you have a rectangle room with the TV on the long wall, the viewing angles of the LCD TVs might not be good enough for you. Some of them are really appalling when viewed from angles > 45 degrees...

4. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

hm, why did the head of Phillips step forward less than a month ago to say that lcd technology wasnt mature enough yet??

5. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I'd be inclined to agree with him after seeing their new plasma

6. Rolo

Rolo Minimodder

cheers lads, just convincing my dad to part with some of his retirement cash now and being ayorkshireman i dont know how much ill be able to squeeze out of him! ;)

its a rectangular room (approx 5m by 7m) and its going in the middle of the short wall, so in theory should be alright for everyone to view. will probably scout out one at a decent price ~1k tbh and then go have a look at them at currys etc.

at least you've settled me in a way, its pretty much a toss up between the two, so long as my dad doesnt go and buy a plasma thats without a tv tuner or something stupid ¬_¬ having said that, would the sky box be able to compensate? or surely it would still need tuning to the sky channel.... i really wish i knew what i was talking about :s

thanks anyway guys :)