1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-18698, 5 Jan 2007.

1. Guest-18698

Guest-18698 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Feb 2024
  2. WhiskeyAlpha

WhiskeyAlpha What's a Dremel?

I didn't know that tekheads actually stocked these, as I was after a set.

Look at my thread here , the G.Skill HZs seem to be fantastic overclockers, Weldzilla in particular has had enormous success with them.

Then again, Highland3r seems to think that any ram using the D9GMH chips should give a good overclock. I'm considering the slightly cheaper Corsair Dominator PC6400s instead.

3. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Cellshock do seem to be pulling decent clocks, where the GSkills been a little hit and miss. Either way you should be good for 500mhz 4,4,4,x with 24/7 safe voltages.

Could also consider the crucial anniversary? It's REALLY nice stuff will run over 500FSB easy on intel boards and a number of people have hit 600+ at decent timings/volts on Nforce 680i

4. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

Dominator 6400 uses Promos

5. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

The normal C4 6400 does, didnt think the Dominators did though?

re the Gskill, just talking from experience run a couple of kits, both can run 500+ quite happily but one kit seems to run much better than the other in terms of voltages and stability iirc.

6. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

7. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

8. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

What IC's do they use? Both D9 GMH?

9. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

If you think its worth the extra for the chance you might mate, then go for it. The sort of difference you may (or may not) see is probably going to be minimal. Saying that, the 8000 sticks will probably use higher binned GMH so you might gain there.
    Swings and roundabouts really, what cpu/mobo/cooling you planning on running? If you're going 680i/RD600 route then it might be worth pushing for some better ram as those boards seem to clock ram like crazy.
    If your getting 965/975 then maybe its not so important? The dividers can be a little dodgy sometimes which *might* limit your overclocking

Out of interest why won't you consider the crucial anniversary? Just a personal preference or...?

10. WhiskeyAlpha

Buff's right about the dominator's. Apparently, the early dominators all used Micron D9s, but the later revisions of the PC6400 use Promos. Cheeky buggers :grr:

I'm now in the same spot as Pie-UK tbh - G.Skill HZs or Cellshock. Haven't heard of many people getting Micron D9 GKX with the PC6400 stuff but they do guarantee Micron D9 GMH at the least :). There's a few people getting D9 GKXs with the cas5 PC8000 stuff but looks like the cas4 PC8000 is where you stand most chance.

I can't justify the difference in price and so I think I'm gonna go with the Cellshock PC6400 kit. I haven't heard a bad word about it. The 8 layer pcb and micron D9s seem to be a winning combination, they simply love the volts. One guy over at XS was even using a particularly suicidal 3.4V!!! (Not one that I would ever be silly enough to emulate ;))

The cas 5 PC8000 is only £10 more but tbh I'm not sure it's worth it. The 6400 kit should easily keep up with it.

My 2p

11. Supershanks

Supershanks What's a Dremel?

12. Supershanks

13. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Haven't played with dividers on the P5B so can't really comment as to how well memory overclocks. Seem to recall some issues with certain dividers over 400 FSB though. Can't remeber which ones - will try and dig em out for you.

The fact that the Cellshock PCB can cope with more voltage is great, but you're still limited by the chips themselves. Much over 2.4v 24/7 through D9 and you risk it degrading over a period of time. Might allow for more stable voltage to the chips meaning they might clock a bit better at the same voltage but thats probably all you'll gain. Thats not to say don't get the Cellshock, it looks to be spiffy memory but consider what you'll be using it for. Does it offer you anything extra over some cheaper D9 based IC's? If it does then its the ram to go for.

<edit> Also remeber PIE the NBCC issues from running < default multi. Should be ok depending on how far you drop the multi but its something to be aware of. 500 FSB from a 6600 isn't air territory, you'll probably be running ~ 430 MAX under water </edit>

14. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Click me

Further info available in the techrepository link in the first post :)

15. Supershanks

It's up 2 you the 6400 should scale up but will usually be short of 8000 5-5-5-5. But from what i've seen all the cellshock are pretty well respected.
    as WhiskeyAlpha says the specs are good including the 8 layer pcb . Don't think u can go wrong with any just get the set your comfortable with.

btw where did u catch your XEON 3060 ??

16. Supershanks

Yes cpu is last thing i have to buy, will have to wait till 15th unless wife feels sorry 4 me. will get a 6600 but like the looks of the Xeon 3060 :thumb:

Luck with the 6400 :D

17. WhiskeyAlpha

Have you received it yet or do you mean just ordered it?

I'd be very interested to see how these perform.

18. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

those Cellshock moduals seem to be doing good things over on XS....

have fun with them :D

19. Supershanks

Well went commando today just installing programmes on raid install. Very smooth build no issues. :D

20. WeldZilla

WeldZilla What's a Dremel?

I will watch for your results guys. I can't predict what you will get in the way of performance as I have not tried anything but G.Skill. Post up your results and let us know

WZ