1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows CS:S Problems

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by longdon, 23 Dec 2006.

1. longdon

longdon What's a Dremel?

When I play CS:S or DOD:S I get disconected at random points throughout the games. Sometimes I will be playing for a few seconds sometimes a few minutes but I always get disconnected. I don't get an error message either it just freezes.

I don't think it should be my internet connection, but it might be. I am on NTL Cable broadband I think 2mb. In the server browsers I get servers with latency with as low as 15-20, but I still get disconnected. I am using avg security suite and hl2.exe and steam is in the allow list so I don't think it is the firewall, I have also played without the firewall on or anything else and I still got disconnected.

Can't be computer either as it is e6400 2gb ram 7900gto, even though computer plays little to no value when playing online.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Does it play other 'net games?

3. longdon

longdon What's a Dremel?

On other games? No it is very similar just not as bad.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

What do you mean? Other games crash too? How about stress-testing programs? Try memtesting and orthos'ing.

5. longdon

longdon What's a Dremel?

No problem is only with online games, system is fine otherwise.

6. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

You sure it's not your ISP? I'm on NTL, but that's never happened to me though.

7. bllt2bnry

bllt2bnry What's a Dremel?

You on wireless?

8. longdon

longdon What's a Dremel?

No it's not wireless connection, wired with CAT5. I thought NTL was my ISP!

9. longdon

longdon What's a Dremel?

Anyone? I have done the port forwarding on my router even thought I did a steam test which said all the ports were reachable and still no luck. I just don't get it. Any ideas would be appreciated.Thanks.

10. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

freezing would indicate a system fault, rather than a network/game fault.. like the others have said, try stress testing your computer.

11. longdon

longdon What's a Dremel?

The computer doesn't freeze and is perfectly stable, only when playing ONLINE do I have any problems. The game stops and I press escape and disconnect from that server, which means the game is running fine.

12. longdon

longdon What's a Dremel?

Anyone any ideas?

13. Mosey

Mosey What's a Dremel?

I get this problem on source, so if you find the fix. Link me up baby.

14. longdon

longdon What's a Dremel?

Sorry still no idea.

15. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

Hate to cover the basics over and over again. But can you try to reinstall all your drivers related to your motherboard. Including chipset drivers, lan drivers, ata controller drivers. Anything and everything. If that dosent work try reinstalling CSS.

This is an odd problem though. Generally computers lock up due to I/O conflicts or to protect hardware. But you say the computer continues to run and the game is the only thing that freezes. Points to everything between your mouse and your ISP. It may be your cable modem of all things?

16. longdon

longdon What's a Dremel?

After the internet went off completely, an engineer came round installed new cable modem and that didn't work. He said it was an ntl fault so he texted the details through. Then still nothing so phoned Bangladesh call centre up again and managed to get it work over USB. After playing around with it I have got ethernet working. Have not played CS:S but hopefully problem solved!!!

17. longdon

longdon What's a Dremel?

Problem solved with new modem it played fine! Then I plugged the router and happens again, was a combination of modem and router problems. Now I just play direct to modem
    and problem solved.

18. Mosey

Mosey What's a Dremel?

Glad to hear to it! I have also fixed this similar problem in a roughly the same way.

See you in game matey ;)

19. longdon

longdon What's a Dremel?

I am suddenly getting loads of Choke in game (Counter Strike) and I have played with my rates but it still happens any ideas?

20. MixWizard

MixWizard Minimodder

i used to have this problem where it froze and then would tell me i had connection problem. this was tracked down to a dodgey router that BT had provided.After changing it to a new Linksys one ive had no problems

Tags: