1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Halo exo-suit. Made for canadian army

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by r4tch3t, 15 Jan 2007.

1. sammo1999

sammo1999 What's a Dremel?

I agree with the above post, wikipedia him:

Most recently, Hurtubise has supposedly designed the Angel Light, a large device that he claims can see through objects, detect stealth aircraft, see into flesh, and disable electronic devices. Hurtubise says that the design for the Angel Light came to him in a series of three dreams, and that he was able to build it from memory, with no schematic and worked on the first try.

It came to him in a dream...nutso

2. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

The dragon skin armor that's being tested in Iraq right now by the US ways about 17 pounds, and this is weights a little more than the standard SAPI plates. But it offers better protection for multiple hits and covers more body area, so his total body suit weighing 15kg isn't that unrealistic.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Nope, that suit may make someone bullet and shrapnel proof, but not very fast and manoeuverable.

- You could lure him in a building and torch it. Poor visibility makes it tricky to get out. Let's see how well he copes getting boiled in the shell alive.

- Throw a jar of Army ants at him and watch them get into all the nooks and crannies of the suit. And then they start biting... Low-tech bio-warfare at its best.

- It has no serious cooling so in hot climates it is going to be pretty toasty. How much water does a human sweat in such temperatures again? And hauling 18Kgs of armour makes you a bit slow... not a great range, then.

DARPA may think of powered exoskeletons but they are extremely high-maintenance and limited in range --the power has to come from somewhere and their maintenance brings a whole infrastructure (think base with tools, parts, engineers) with them.

Local guerrillas meanwhile are low-maintenance and can set up and break up camp any time, anywhere. They don't have fancy technology so they have had a lifetime of experience in solving their problems the creative, low-tech way. They have had a lifetime of hardship to make them resilient. They know the land --what is edible and drinkable, what is poisonous, what is dangerous, the terrain, the pitfalls.

And most importantly, our DARPA'd up solidiers will be used to basic comfort, to having the upper hand on the battlefield and having a decent standard of living waiting back home, with their families, a career and a future. They are used to having dreams. They have things to lose. Guerrillas often have nothing. They are used to being outnumbered and outgunned, to having an uncertain future and losing their families. The guerrillas will fight to the bitter end, because they have nothing to lose, and everthing to gain.

The world has changed. Bigger guns don't work anymore.

4. Cadillac Ferd

Cadillac Ferd What's a Dremel?

Did anyone read the wiki on this guy? It's linked in the article and I gotta say it seems more than a little ridiculous. If the inventions this guy has had have actually worked (and he's been working on these suits since the 80's) how come no one has ever flipping heard of the guy before? Is it all just some crazy guy in Canada? What the hell. Seriously. Go read the wiki it lists alot of the things this guy has come up with and the claims he has made (and supposedly proven) about their capabilities. :jawdrop:

5. Charles1

Charles1 What's a Dremel?

I buy one just to rob a bank LOL

6. scarecrow

scarecrow What's a Dremel?

7. glaeken

He does seem a bit crazy, but if his other inventions are anything like his blast cushions, then it seems that they might be the real deal too.

8. scarecrow

scarecrow What's a Dremel?

9. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

All I got to say is Woot woot Canadian done it again.

10. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Take off, and nuke the site from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure.

11. sammo1999

sammo1999 What's a Dremel?

The video suggests that his stuff works, however the one clip is from 2004, and I haven't heard of any of this stuff being used yet.

They guy seems like an born again used car salesman to me.

12. pdf27

pdf27 What's a Dremel?

Multiple hits from what? The numbers I quoted are for 7.62x54 (NATO) AP rounds. That has several times the penetrating power of the 7.62x39 Russian standard rounds which are the most common ones faced in Iraq.

Oh, and I've heard quite a few bad things about the dragon skin armour - enough to make me suspect that there is more marketing than engineering behind it.

13. glaeken

Multiple hits from 7.62 AP and API rounds. What bad things have you heard? (Not trying to provoke anything, it's just that I've only read good things about it and am interested to hear some bad points.)

I wasn't trying to promote the dragon skin armor, but what I was getting at is that current armor isn't that heavy, and that the weight of his suit isn't inconceivable.

Last edited: 17 Jan 2007
  14. 1e8o

1e8o What's a Dremel?

I think it's kinda cool...we are a little step closer to an even more sci-fi world :p

15. pdf27

pdf27 What's a Dremel?

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I finally came across a hard source for this today which backs up the rather nebulous rumours I'd been hearing and didn't feel comfortable putting down in a thread. In summary, they're bigger, heavier and provide less protection than what the US Army was already issuing.

16. woof82

woof82 What's a Dremel?

17. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

Any guesses as to why the colonialists beat the British army?
    Unconventional warfare will always win. Though one has to admit, it has certainly got harder over the ages. But I'm sure that you can draw in the slack with a bit of patriotic zeal or religious fervour.

H.B.

Tags: Add Tags