1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling concept idea please help me design

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RonaldoR9, 17 Jan 2007.

1. RonaldoR9

RonaldoR9 What's a Dremel?

hi after viewing dells new black ice i was inspired to create something that kind of "mounts on the cpu" that also looks cool and cools. After reaserching for a bit i decided to create a water cooling setup that integrated the coolit freezone tec cooler goes to the block provided by the freezones kit then back to a radiator then to the tec to further decrease the temp. After researching the freezone is said to be able to handle more heatout put 175W and above so i decided to integrate this rather then the eliminator. I was curious as to what you guys think of this? is it stupid, inefficient ? or would it do a good job or would a dual rad cooling both a gpu and cpu be better?

i quickly drew out a concept set up what do you guys think?[​IMG]

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'd say a good block and twin-rad setup would do better, although I've no factual basis, a twin 120mm rad setup has, at very least, a better surface area for heat exchange. A proper WC block is probably better than the one on the Coolit's too. :)

3. RonaldoR9

well i have thought about totaly scraping the coolit for another rad so it would

go rad1 - to rad 2 to block then the pump and cover that in a case similar to the blackice h2c mounting it right on top of the cpu then have a seperate loop for the gpu how does this sound?

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The Cool it Freezone is quite decent for what it does, but I am not sure that you can increase its performance just by bolting on another radiator. I suspect that the design is balanced as it is. Paradoxically, if the TEC cools down the liquid to a bit below ambient, then adding a radiator will reduce performance.

I also wonder why you go for two radiators if you can just use one larger one instead. And why put the pump on the block? Keep it simple.

5. RonaldoR9

well the block will not be on the pump its just for the diagram but now im totaly ditching the tec and im thinking of putting 3 single 120 mm rad infront of each other with some space and fans blowing in the same direction also nexxo i dont want to use a larger one beacuse this set up would save me some time do u reckon i would get the same preformance with the 3 rads infront of each other compared to just a large one

thanks

6. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

hmmm well the surface area would be pretty close so in terms of heat removal that would be the same. The pressure drop would be lower for a smaller rad than one big one but you have 3 of them. Overall I dont think it would make a difference might be wrong though. I would have though one big rad would have been more convenient.

7. Jagdwolf

Jagdwolf What's a Dremel?

try danger den. there is a black ice 3 I am using the black Ice 2 radiator, and will post pix as soon as the water cooling leak test is done. I will let you know. I am cooling the cpu gpu north south and a physX card. We shall see. LOL

8. RonaldoR9

well i was looking at the thermochills 1.120 i heard they are excelent so with thsoe three 120 rads placed infront of each other cooling only the cpu conroe e6600or i might chose 6400 should i be expecting very low temps overclocked seeing that 3 120 rads are going to be cooling just the cpu and not the gpu

thanks for all the help so far by the way

9. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

If you are thinking of having the rads in front of each other, i.e.
    |R||F||R||F||R||F|
    |A||A||A||A||A||A|
    |D||N||D||N||D||N|
    Then no it won't improve performance very much, ask Nexxo when he gets back he can explain it better, but I will try here.
    For each radiator there is a pressure drop cutting the amount of air it can move, say half, so with 3 it drops it by half, then half, then half again, so 1/8th the flow, even with the fans in between it won't work as well.
    ^^I tried but can't remember enough to provide lots of backup.

If you are only cooling the CPU, even a 120.1 will work fine.
    A dual 120 would be much better if you can fit it, than stacking rads.

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

r4tch3t is right. You cannot stack radiators in front of each other. Not only will you pass the warmer air from the previous radiators on to the next one, but you also triple the air resistance (or cut the flow down to about 1/8) so that the fans will really struggle to put some airflow through. And the noise will be considerable.

11. JazX101

JazX101 What's a Dremel?

If you are using a TEC setup, you are going to be overclockign quite heavily, otherwise standard water would be the best way to go. If you are overclocking that heavily then you must have a high end processor. High end processors will be producing a lot of heat, 100-150+ (anyone got any figures??). Combined with the internal heat of the TEC its self, you will end up with a processor that is warmer than it was to begin with.
    Best thing too do is to have a TEC in the watercooling loop that can be used to chill the water as it goes to the processor. That way you can turn it off if you're not using it, but also any power of TEC will make a difference, though bigger is always better.
    OOI what you planning on running this off of?
    Jaz_knos

12. RonaldoR9

thanks for the info nexxo right now im brainstorming for a future build this summer and trying to gain as much knowladge on h20 cooling the reason i thought about the tec is beacuse coolits is a very moderate and "less extreme" then the peltiers that attach on the cpu block
    i think im planing one gettin a conroe 6400 since i wil probably be upgrading when true quadcores come out

For each radiator there is a pressure drop cutting the amount of air it can move, say half, so with 3 it drops it by half, then half, then half again, so 1/8th the flow, even with the fans in between it won't work as well.
    ^^I tried but can't remember enough to provide lots of backup.

13. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

120.3 and 3x120 are pretty mush the same for cooling a bet, a little more restrictive for the 3 individual though. The upside is that instead of having water warm up running from block to block then one big cooling you can have mild water all around, as opposed to a large single where you have cold then hot averaging to mild but not giving even cooling

14. RonaldoR9

oh ic but the cpu block was the only one i wanted to attatch to the 3X120

Tags: