1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Vista 64 or Vista 32?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Galls, 30 Jan 2007.

1. Galls

Galls What's a Dremel?

I am one of the saps who bought XP 64 and lived with the horrible software support. Quicktime never worked. MS's own programs often never worked, such as xbox 360 and windows streaming.

Does anyone know if vista 64 bit will be the same situation as before, or will it actually e supported.

2. TheDean

TheDean What's a Dremel?

I would actually be interested in this also. Currently wondering whether or not to buy the 32-Bit or 64-Bit OEM version.

I am not really sure the advantages/disadvantages of either really... :blush:

3. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

32 bit by far.

4. alpha112

alpha112 Modder

Ive used both, Id say the main difference is driver support, there are less for 64bit but now vista is properly released then thats not likely to be a problem for much longer.

Other than that there's no noticeable difference between the 2. the 64bit will run programs in 32bit compatibility so theres unlikely to be a problem there.

5. Galls

Galls What's a Dremel?

another question, does anyone know of any ATSC or analog cable tuners that can work with vista 64?

6. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

64 is pretty good, the main thing is driver support (My Hauppauge card didn't work, so I'm not running it).

7. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

This might sound stupid, but is it just drivers that will need 64bit stuff, or do some programs have 64-bit versions?

8. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

A number of programs are now 64-bit, so yes.

9. bumfluff

bumfluff What's a Dremel?

The only reason there aren't so many drivers are because for x64 they have to be certified and many of them are still beta. This is because x64 has a much safer way of doing things so it should be much harder to hack.

10. alpha112

alpha112 Modder

All vista drivers have to be signed (unless you disable the checking), its just x64 is newer and until vista it wasnt widely used so companies never felt the need to make drivers for it.

11. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Personally I would go for the 64-bit version.
    Nearly everything that will come out from now on, should have both 32 and 64 bit drivers.
    Easiest way of checking is try to find Vista 64-bit drivers before you buy. If you can't find some drivers for 64 bit, then you can either replace that bit with one that does, or get 32 bit.

12. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

but with a 64-bit version, programs that arnt designed for 64bit (just standard 32bit apps) will still work right?

13. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Yes they will

14. TheDean

TheDean What's a Dremel?

So in that case everyone should buy 64bit then right?!

15. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

64-bit is not for everyone. In my opinion it is were everything will end up, but due to lack of drivers for older hardware, 32 bit will be best for those with less knowledge of computers.

16. ab1385

ab1385 What's a Dremel?

So looking for drivers, will XP pro 64bit drivers eg as are available for NVidia motherboards and graphics cards, work with Vista 64 bit?

17. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

No. At least, not explicitly. But most decent hardware will have drivers before long. Companies like Nvidia and Creative have been slow off the mark but x64 is the way of the future. That said, you mon't be pushed off x86 for a long while.

So check out driver support for your hardware and make your decision then. You can always install one version over the other later on if you change your mind.

18. ab1385

ab1385 What's a Dremel?

So, at the very least, wait for a bit before going Vista 64 bit? I was thinking of uprgrading my computer, and if I was doing that to stick Vista on it. If it isn't going to work properly for the moment, then I should wait a while for drivers to become available?

19. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

Best thing to do is lend a friends version, and do the 30days trial for a bit, just to make sure you can get all the drivers and stuff working. then get your own copy. Thats what im going to do anyway.

20. PHILIP1193

PHILIP1193 a Self Confessed HP Server Lover!!

right im on vista 64 bit home premium and my asus p5w delux board runs fine. granded it picked up all my drivers fine. TBH if i was lazy enough i wouldn't of had to install a single one actually no i had to sintall my ati drivers, but that was it.

No F6ing which was good.

Vista 64 bit is fine and run all my apps and games fine... and driver support is onyl going to get better so i recon 64 bit si teh way forward

Phil

Tags: