1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Opinions on Mazda RX7 Turbo (FC3S model)

Discussion in 'General' started by NiHiLiST, 14 Nov 2006.

1. dom_

dom_ --->

3rd gen the one all the chavs/ricers want

2. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I'm trying to be realistic ;) There's no way I could afford to have one done, and if I could I wouldn't, the money would be better spent on a different car.

3. fev

fev Industry Fallout

you could sell me your ace coffee machine... :D

4. NiHiLiST

I doubt I'd have any trouble selling it for a reasonable price :)

5. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

I could change my car from a 1.2 carbed engine to a 1.6 injection for definately less than £500 including insurance+fuelling system. How is the cappucino so different?

6. NiHiLiST

Xen0, the Capp was also only ever offered with the 660cc turbo engine and unlike most cars there aren't any direct engine swaps for the Capp. It would mean fabricating engine mounts and getting the drivetrain all connected. I couldn't do this work myself. It would also need either a full new wiring loom putting in or to use a programmable ECU which I would need to get mapped by someone who knows what they're doing.

Engines that will fit in the Capp (and are worth bothering with) aren't common. Even larger bike engines are a squeeze, it really is that tight. I've not actually seen a single successful engine swap on a Capp, the best I have is hearsay from a reliable source that some people in Japan have put in 13B engines from the RX7.

It's just not viable, there's a reason companies like Z-Cars sell their kits for thousands of pounds, they have to recoup the huge development costs.

Trust me, I've looked into it :) Unless I wanted over 200bhp it would be cheaper to just get a highly tuned original engine and nitrous.

7. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

OK, fair enough then.

I wasn't trying to mock, just asking questions and giving my point of view :).

You know what car I'd say for a 'cheap' 200+bhp & sub 800kg :D.

What's the cost of tuning the capp, and what can you expect to get out of it?

8. NiHiLiST

I know :)

Did Vauxhall used to make it per chance? :idea:

Well with over 90k on my engine I'd want a rebuild if I was to do any serious tuning. Stock power is 64hp. I'm guessing mine's at mid-70's now (K&N panel filter, cat-back exhaust, boost turned up from ~12PSI to ~15.5PSI).

Suzuki Sport used to make the F100 kit which included a more aggressive turbo, bigger injectors, colder plugs and a better mapped ECU with mappings to much higher boost levels. This should make ~100hp or ~110hp with a better intercooler fitted. The boost can be cranked up again on this if using higher-octane fuel (I always use 99RON V-Power). That kit was in the region of £1300 after VAT and such was accounted for but is no longer in production.

If you want more power than that it gets expensive as you really need to fit thicker head gaskets, forged pistons, balance the engine, hairy cams etc.

I can get a Suzuki Sport N1 ECU for just over £400 which is essentially just a remapped ECU with the boost and speed limiters removed. Should be good for ~95hp I reckon with a bit more boost.

The engine in "natural tune" would actually run about 95hp stock, but it was detuned to meet Japanese regulations :(

9. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Considered a full rebuild and adding a supercharger while keeping the turbo? :D

10. NiHiLiST

I'm not sure how a 660cc 3-pot would take to having a supercharger belted to it but nice idea :)

11. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

Probably a lot better than my 1196cc 4 banger lol.

12. Infraggable Krunk

Infraggable Krunk What's a Dremel?

anyone who says that rotaries are even remotely reliable is being optimistic ( bordering on ignorant)

When is the last time you saw someone SWAP IN a 13B into a car, its not worth it.

What other engine has such a high maintanance/cost of car cost.. NONE

If you have the money for the maintenance than a Rx7 ( with a 99+ front end ) is just a gorgeous car to have. If you have the money an LS1/LS7 swap will get you a car short of a supercar.

13. NiHiLiST

I've seen 13B engines put in MX-5s and heard about them being put in Cappuccinos :)

Other engines with high maintenance... how about the Evo's engine? First service after 1000 miles and settles down to a steady 3000 mile interval. I know it's not the engine, but the oil in the diffs needs a computer to change "properly" (eg. without letting the ECU think something's awry).

I don't have the money to insure an FD3S, they cost a huge amount more for me with every insurance company I've had a quote from.

14. adamjones01101

adamjones01101 Minimodder

I had an 87 Turbo II, which completely kicked ass. Unfortunately, we had to sell the car when my dad got a new job, so it no longer belongs to us. Anywho, the car is a blast to drive. A NA rotary engine (because of the way it's designed) has a straight torque curve -- translates to no loss over the entire powerband. Throw a turbo into the mix, and you've got a nasty sense of whiplash with a modest press of the gas pedal. Add the 7's snappy handling and you've got yourself a fantastic-ly (not a word, I'm sure) exhilarating vehicle to drive. Just my opinions.

And another thought. My mom drove it every so often, and when she'd get back, she'd tell me how "another one of those stupid kids in their ricers" tried to race her on the freeway, and she would just laugh.

EDIT: The F3CS is actually pretty easy to work on, just set aside a day or two to replace the major things when they need it (apex seals, etc). With care, you can easily get 100k miles out of it without major repairs or maintenance. And lastly, don't become a stupid American and put a 350 in it. Sure it's a V8, but then you lose the beauty of owning a true RX-7.

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Ricing is just like real rice, when done right it's delicious, when done wrong it's dry and you want it thrown away. Chavs are like waiters who just work there to get money, feel free to leave to tip and spit in their faces...

Get any 'ol RX7, all are great cars IMO, by looks

16. fatty

fatty Minimodder

I have had a few rx's in my time a couple of 12a's and a few 13b's my fastest car was an rx2 which had been j ported the engine produced in the region of 220bhp the engine outlasted the body :)
    I also had one of very few AMS Allan Moffet Special rx7's basicaly it had a body kit and some badges, it only had a 12a in it but with a little work and a series 4 turbo gearbox it was a realy fun car to drive.
    Just remember if you get a rotary check under the oil filler lid if its white and creamy early indication the seals could be going..
    Warm the engine up before driving ( especialy if you are driving at high revs )
    And NEVER let it run low on oil

17. n0d4x

n0d4x What's a Dremel?

rx7 turbo rotary MMMM

hard to work on but good cars

Tags: