1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Orange Monster, 26 July 2006; Wire routing blocks 16.3.2014

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Darkened, 26 Jul 2006.

1. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Thanks guys.

Update on the OM will be out once I get the parts done, they are the kind I don't want to rush :hehe:

@eeqq

It's a CoolerMaster Praetorian case Mk.1, the second one is quite ugly IMHO and on top of that, it's not all alu anymore where Mk.1 is.

Keep tuned...

Janne

2. 2shae

2shae What's a Dremel?

so will we get to see the rest of your project. It really kicks ass

3. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Hey all!

Welcome to the forums 2shae :thumb:

And to answer your question, you surely will, the reason for not updating in a while is that I've been swamped with schoolwork (and some other work also besides modding).

But I can assure you that the Monster is still alive, in fact I'm writing this from the OM. There has also been ideas flying around here to upgrade the monster and also maybe going with watercooling, we'll see...

I'm trying to squeeze an update for you guys as soon as possible, but it might still be a while.

Janne

4. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

You go ahead and take your time. We aren't going anywhere.

5. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Thanks bro, much appreciated.

Janne

6. Godric

Godric What's a Dremel?

Indeed, and it still is. Looks good.
    How is that Coolink fan on your cpu working out for you? I am thinking of using these fans in the next stage of one of my mods and want to know how the sound and 'wind' production is.

7. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

@Godric

It's actually a NoiseBlocker 92mm fan and I don't have anything bad to say about it, though I might exchange it to a 92mm Papst fan I have laying around.

Janne

8. Zds

Zds What's a Dremel?

Yes. Looking at the specs on few places the LEDs sold as UV are actually in violet part of the spectrum. The wavelength of the LEDs I ran across were 385, 400 and 400nm, while Wikipedia article for Visible light considers violet extending down to the 380nm. Naturally, as Wikipedia notes, the border is a bit hazy.

The claim "UV" is not totally without merit, Wikipedia article for UV states UVA rays go from 315 to 400nm.

What this means is that while UV radiation is dangerous, UV lighting used in computers is from the mildest end of the least harmful form of UV (UVA), miniscular in power and most likely will be blocked partially by any glass/plexiglass between human and the light source.

All in all, I would not stare directly into any UV light source for any length of time, but I doubt UV lighting inside computer case is able to do any real harm.

And Darkened, your mod looks very solidly done indeed! You for sure are raising the bar for us other Finns ;-).

9. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Thanks a bunch for your kind words Zds!

I followed your C Case thread also, any news on that bad boy? Do you have plans on finishing it someday for us to feast our eyes on?

Also, thanks for the info on UV, much appreciated.

Janne

10. Zds

Zds What's a Dremel?

For sure! Moving to new place has just taken a priority, and I also have a mini-project in my sleeve.. will post about it to these very forums once I get it done.

Right now I have spent my energy to modding the new aparment and furniture, so the computer cases have had to wait :-D.

11. 2shae

2shae What's a Dremel?

i hope u keep the air cooling, i have the same coolmaster heat sink(which split my motherboard in half once) and i really want to see will u mod it.

12. Damouse

Damouse Thats no moon!

lol split it in half? that would be interesting to see!

good modding to ya!

13. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

I've been sick as a dog for the past week, but let's see if I can squeeze up an update for you tonight.

See you soon.

Janne

14. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Yay! Some Monster is always a good past-time for idle Thursdays that should be spent studying for exams but somehow end up surfing the Net of Inter.

I bet it's the wonderfully wintery weather that's affecting you. And it'll only get warmer next week.

15. sparkyftw

sparkyftw What's a Dremel?

Can't wait for an update for the case that inspires me. I love what you did with orange and black, and I decided I would like that better then any otherlighted combo

16. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

Orange future...

Okay folks, it seems that there's going to be only a text update tonight.

First of all, I'm really sorry about not updating this log and the Phantom Black log in so long. I have my reasons though...

I've been thinking and designing the next phases of these mods. For OM I'll have to do something to re-gain it's status as a Monster, with this hardware in it, it's more an Orange ***** or something to that fashion :hehe:

So when I get my finances sorted out, Monster will get some Core 2 goodness and also Dx10 compatible GPU in it. That will mean that everything else is going to change besides the PSU and the HDD and maybe the DVD drive.

Also the cooling solution for the Monster will be waterbased (first for me).

Well that's the easy part, adding hardware, but I'm thinking about kicking this bugger up a notch, well, you'll see when I get at it.

The first part of this process is to migrate the present hardware into my "Server" case so that I'll have one half-decent computer to use. After that I'll tear the Monster to pieces and go at it with a vengeance.

For Phantom Black, it'll probably have to go with a bit more modest hardware (my present "server" setup) and while I'm at it, I'll announce that PB is priority number two until I get OM done, so expect only a few small updates on that front.

As said before, I'll have to get the money first, but I'm pretty confident that we'll be on track with this project pretty soon.

Hopefully you haven't lost interest in this project, cause if you have, it'll come back and bite you in the arse :hehe:

Monster out!

Janne

17. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Sounds like a good and decent plan. And don't worry, I think no-one has lost interest. We all know you're going to make something sweet happen. It's also a good thing to put priorities on projects. That way PB will eventually have newer hardware in it too.

18. Naberius

Naberius What's a Dremel?

This case looks awesome now, cant wait to see the next stages.

19. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

sounds like a good plan chap, just to point out that i have a v1000b which is water cooled.

The biggest problem in the case space, you could mount a 120.2 rad up top, but you loss the bottom PCI slots of your mobo.

or, mount a 120.1 in the front like me, but cooling potential is limited.

20. Naberius

Naberius What's a Dremel?

you could put a rad in the bottom in front of PSU loosing the HDD bays, depends on PSU length though.

Tags: