1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardrive about to die, can i copy it?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by kylelnsn, 25 Feb 2007.

1. kylelnsn

kylelnsn What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, my hardrive is a bout to die i believe, i dropped it and its got a slioght dent in teh top! so i need t5o get all the data off as soon aspossible, is there a way i can like copy everythign into a new hardrive from the boot, or a live cd? so then i have a clone or exact copy of the hardrive? thanks guys Kyle

2. kylelnsn

kylelnsn What's a Dremel?

3. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

uh,yes?

tbh don't bother cloning it, just pull the most important data off it. a clone will take a long time and it ay well die halfway through. be quick, get the most important things first, then work your way down the priority list.

4. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

Install it as a slave drive (may require changing a jumper setting), then get everything important off it, and onto the new HDD, or CD/DVD... ASAP :D

5. krimson

krimson What's a Dremel?

yeah, just dump it onto another slave drive, or copy it over a network, or something like that.

if you want an EXACT copy (like if its an OS drive and you want to just replace the hard drive without a reinstall) you can do a clone (like norton ghost or many other hard drive cloning programs out there) and you should be set.

6. anduril

anduril What's a Dremel?

^we at home have several computers my dad recently had his computer malfunctioning so he copied the entire hd to my pc. right after that it died.
    if u've got several pc's this might be an option

7. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

That's precisely what I've suggested above ("install it as a slave... then get everything important off it, and onto the new HDD...") :idea:

You can do that on your own system, if you have another hard drive to boot from.
    The only difference in the way you/your dad did it, is that your dad installed the duff HDD into your system ;)

8. chunga

chunga What's a Dremel?

Besides all the suggestions above you may take a look at this hdd cloning program. Unfortunately it is not free but it works great, note that both drives should have the same interface.

9. anduril

anduril What's a Dremel?

realized that only after u'r post. :duh:
    anyway better post too much than too few when helping people. :D