1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel deleted court ordered emails

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 7 Mar 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. randosome

randosome Banned

I wonder what the courts will do about it, i mean it may be human error but its still evidence in the case ....

i mean what happens if a police officer accidentally shreds a piece of evidence ... i assume not very good things, and the same thing should happen to intel

Its nice to know all those joke emails that go round Intel do get deleted eventually though, instead of being logged for all eternity :p
    (note: i do not know if Intel actually has joke emails going round, although id be surprised if they didn't)

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

It's called obstructing the course of justice. It's illegal.

4. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Almost standard legal tactics - thats illegal - but something they might not get called up for as badly for compared to them preserving the evidence.

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Does anyone know why AMD are taking Intel to Court?

Intel, naughty naughty, a company that big and they can't even find a few deleted files.

If they accidently deleted a part of a CPU core design i bet they could find it again pretty quick!!!

It must be company policy to delete unwanted emails via the method of large magnet to HDD's!!! lol

6. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

I bet if AMD were in the same situation they's "loose" a few E-Mails as well....

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Basically forcing clients to buy Intel.

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

That still going on! Thats been going for years! Since the days of old school SKT A Athlons!!!

Still got my xp-m, clocked to the nuts, yes i need all of that to use winamp! lol

9. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

I guess it basically comes down to this: If Intel looses the emails they may get a fine or something like that for loosing it. If they kept the emails they might face a GIANT fine (assuming that the lost emails were not helping Intels case).

Fine and reprimand vs GIANT fine (loosing the case), not a difficult choice really (laws be dammed)

10. Woodstock

Woodstock So Say We All

cough backup cough

11. MarkeH

MarkeH What's a Dremel?

I dont understand why Intel were charged with keeping the evidence safe for a court case they are involved with. If i murdered somebody, the police wouldnt leave the murder weapon under my control untill the court date, would they? "Ok, please keep the knife safe that you stabbed Mr.Imaginary Person with, we wont be able to build a case against you without it."

:wallbash:

12. randosome

randosome Banned

yeah but thats not quite the same i think, its like telling intel not to wash their underwear from when they murdered the person

13. Vash-HT

Vash-HT What's a Dremel?

Can someone please explain to me why I keep seeing people on the internet using loose in place of lose? For god's sakes i see people getting called loosers in online games.

14. Havok154

Havok154 What's a Dremel?

Didn't the RIAA win a case because someone formatted their hard drive after receiving a notice about illegal downloading of music. The court then considered that admission of guilt and ruled in favor of the dev...I mean, music industry.

I see this too and it bugs me to no end. I started seeing people replace lose with loose about 2-3 years ago, and every year it gets worse. Can't figure out why there's only a handful of people that remember loose is a term used to make fun of someone's mom and lose is what happens when you gamble in Vegas.

15. El1m1nate

El1m1nate What's a Dremel?

cant they just use a data recovery program??? or has every person formatted the hd, does intel use hard erasing?

16. randosome

randosome Banned

yes they could

however, i suspect the story is more likely to go by with him putting a large magnet near it, or using the bit in the drive where your meant to put a pin or whatever to destroy the data

17. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

How dare everyone be so unhesitatingly critical!

It is obviously completely inconceivable that any large company would intentionally destroy sensitive documentation, especially in circumstances where the penalty for nondisclosure is less severe than the possible penalties resulting from disclosure. Large companies are not, in any way, the corporate equivalent of what in a human being would be called an incorrigibly greedy psychopath. It's not that global outfits like Intel, AMD, Microsoft, et. al. have no concept of "enough" or "moderation"; they're actually run by perfectly lovely people, probably the sort who serve soup to homeless people on the weekends.

In short, big companies are not lying, cheating, law-flouting piss-takers who'll sequester anything they can get their glue-coated, grasping fingers on.

Oh no. Hang on.

P

18. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Had the police been involved they would have lawfully seized any likely evidence on day 1. But this is a civil lawsuit, and asking the defendant to produce the plaintiff's evidence is always optimistic. :duh:

Tags: Add Tags