1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News DAAMIT confuses with X2K line

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 13 Mar 2007.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Can we please move away from the whole silly DAAMIT thing?

It's AMD's graphics department.

3. Tyr

Tyr Minimodder

Someone over at The Inquirer seems to have started it.

Either way that is unrelated to the subject.

ATi have a good history of messing about products. The Mobility 9800 was based on a similar core to the X700 not the 9800. The Mobility 9700 was a 9600XT (underclocked in all but one notebook) and had no relation to the 9700Pro.

There are other examples but nVidia has done just the same in the past and is still doing so now. Low end products are always a con as they hardly ever comply with what they should. I wouldn't go for anything less than mid ranged unless the PC was going to be a glorified typewriter.

4. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Wetsander

And here I came in to ask if Bit Tech was taking after ol' El Reg. Someone seems to have beaten me to it.

Though I really hope the DAAMIT thing doesn't catch on. :duh:

5. David_Fitzy

David_Fitzy I modded a keyboard once....

I've been a nVidia person since first GPU TNT2 and ATi's numbering has always eluded me It was a real pain when Intel decided to use arbitary numbers "because AMD did", alphabetical pre/postfixes are a pain too. Alphabetically a 8800GTS could be misinterperated as better than a 8800GTX (A GTA being best, GTZ being worst)

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

DAAMIT? Have I been living under a rock?

7. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

It appears to be an anagram of AMD & ATI. I'd say it's on the same level as the variants of "Macro$loth" or "crApple" - though not as obvious at first read - so I guess it makes the writer more 1337!!!!!! :rolleyes: .

Having said that tough - Someone needs to give the people who name these parts (and all graphics cards) a serious slap upside the head (figuratively speaking).

8. Fiber4now

Fiber4now Don't feed the trolls

What all this is about is the delay of the R600 has had an impact upon AMD's ability to get anything new into their lineup of GPUs. By rebadging to a higher number they perceive the off the shelf market purchasers as a bunch of dummies that will purchase X300 and X1300 again and again with out really receiving any advantages from their new purchase other than support for shader model 3.0. which buy the way only slows down that part dramatically when presented with a game that uses SM3.0 such as Marvel: Ultimate Alliance. In other words the low end at ATI has not been thrown a bone for a very long time and are still using an X300 and X600 with a few fancy bells and whistles attached.

9. randosome

randosome Banned

Anyway, i too seem to have missed the DAMMIT thing, even if you say its ATI/AMD something
    How do you get from AMDATI to DAMMIT ? (+ there's 1 to many M's in that case :p)

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yes, please do lose the Inq DAAMIT thing. It's just not Bit's style.
    (randosome - two 'A's, one 'M'; DAAMIT, not DAMMIT)

Still, an interesting little snippet.

11. Iago

Iago What's a Dremel?

I like The Inquirer's nicknames for Intel (Chipzilla) and nVidia (Graphzilla) much more. Chimpzilla (AMD) was kind of cool too. But DAMMIT allways felt a bit forced to me.

12. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I appears that we the users have spoken (more about the headline than the article).

While I occasionally use "marco$loth" and am amused by "Chipzilla" and "Graphzilla" I think I'm unlikely to use "DAAMIT".

Back on topic: Since we also agree that the current letter system stinks what would you all recommend? I like David_Fitzy's idea of alphabetical suffixes (e.i. GTA > GTZ) although I think I'd reverse the order (A = ver 1, Z = ver 26) with higher letters being better.

Tags: Add Tags