1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Building a PC - First time build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Major, 14 Mar 2007.

1. Major

Major Guest

Well exactly what it says in the title. :)

Just received my parts from SCAN and everything is good to go I hope.. Now i Havbe an option on waiting on a friend to build it when he has time, or I Have the option of me building it. I have never built a PC before, not even installed XP onto a machine, so in this case I am a complete utter n00b.

:)

Now the PC isn't cheap, cost me just under £1500. So if something goes wrong, then it is a lot of money gone down the drain. So I am wondering, how easy is this to do? And if so is there any online pic guids to help me? I would also like to point out that I'm going to be doing RAID0 on towo 320GB drives, and one drive as backup. Again I have no idea on these things.

So should I explore the art of building, or leave it to the expert? ;)

Thanks.

Maj

2. trig

trig god's little mistake

well, let me ask you....do you have an anti-static strip? if the answer is no...then wait on ur buddy...

3. Major

Major Guest

Can I ask what is this? I thought putting your fingure on a plug would get rid of static?

4. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

You'd best wait for your mate by the sounds of it :idea:

At least you'll then be able to watch what he's doing (even help where possible), so you'll at least have an idea how to go about doing things for yourself at a future date ;)

5. nry

nry Minimodder

Is a earthed wrist strap which removes static from your body.

If you have such an expensive computer I wouldn't recommend using it for your first built. Although building a computer is not hard, do a google search and there are plenty of guides out there.

The most difficult bit of building a computer is the software, such a pain to get working properly.

6. Major

Major Guest

Yes that's what I thought,

I can put the PC together. But doing BIOS/Updates. I have no clue on that. Guess I'l wait then. :)

EDIT: I thought just touching somethign metal before hand or putting your finger onto an electric plug whole would do the trick?

Last edited by a moderator: 14 Mar 2007
  7. rswami92

rswami92 What's a Dremel?

buliding a computer isnt a hard thing at all im a noob to this aswell and am spending bout a £1000 on my new rig
    i suggest just do a little research ask your friend questions like i did and just do it all yourself its the oly way you'll learn they say

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

ok, iv never use an anti-stactic strap, and iv been building computer for the last 10 years and never had a failer.

Having said that i dont have shag pile carpets and i dont wear a shell suit made of polyester! lol!

9. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I don't think anti-static wrist bands are fantastically important. Touching an earthed object (the radiator) is sufficient enough.

10. trig

definitely, that would do the trick...thing is, unless you plan ahead or are used to grounding yourself everytime you touch a component, you run that risk...and frankly, i have been building rigs since i was 25 (im 32 now) and i still wear a strap most of the time, especially if im doing an expensive rig...i built my first one by myself, and had no probs...everything is pretty easy to figure out, but not knowing what an antistatic strap is just makes me think you might wanna observe one first...ive got buddies that say the same thing "ive been building for so and so years and never use that"...but you know what? they also have people calling them all the time about crap that doesnt work...id rather not take any chances...its not like its a big hassle

11. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

I never use antistatic wrist bands; they're itchy. Just remember to ground yourself, and you'll be fine. Also, don't wear socks and drag your feet across a high pile carpet.

12. Major

Major Guest

Well I used to have one, just didn't know they call them that (Cant remember what I used to call it). Had a blue one with a clip on the end, that's what your talking about I guess. ;)

The mobo has a really good manual with it. Shows you everything tbh. From Hardware to BIOS. If my mate has time though I will def get him to do it for various reasons. ;)

13. trig

yeah, thats prolly it...im sure you'll be fine...let us know how it goes...

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

The effects of static are very over-rated. All this wrist-bandy ridiculousness is just a method of cashing in on paranoia. Admittedly you don't want to be messing around with a Van De Graaf generator while you handle parts, but beyond that, there's no real worry tbh.

15. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

unless you're on a furry carpet; which will probably result in instant static death to any component you touch. :hehe:

Concrete flooring is the best, especially if you have a bare metal table you can use on top of it as a workbench.

when I started messing with comps on a regular basis I just took a table and put a grounding bolt right through the leg and the floor into the ground :D

and make sure the air is not very dry as that will make it easier for static to generate.

as long as you don't do something obviously stupid most components are pretty sturdy these days. CPU pins are still another matter. (why can't they use the ball type anyway?)

16. Hazardous

Hazardous What's a Dremel?

It might be regarded by some as overkill, but I actually use an anti-static computer mat kit (mat + wrist strap) - specifically designed for when you're doing computer builds.

Thing is... whilst I don't really have to worry about static in my own flat (I have laminate flooring throughout), I'm often called upon to help sort out friends computer systems, and I wouldn't want to risk a static charge taking out somebody else's hardware... at my expense :idea:

17. nry

nry Minimodder

I would rather wear it than damage say a stick of ram or something. For the sake of the 2 seconds it takes to put it on etc well worth it :)

18. trig

my buddy ruined an x1950xtx when it first came out...putting together a pc on his kitchen table...floors were vinyl or w/e...table was wood...felt the shock when he touched the case at the same time he grabbed the card...sure enough, didnt work...its not over-rated...use it...i dont understand what people gain from telling someone new to pc building not to use one...makes no sense...sure wouldnt want to buy a pc from em

19. Major

Major Guest

My freind will be coming over tomorrow to build it. I should have pics up hopefully. ;)

20. Major

Major Guest

Tis all up and running smooth. Drivers are installed (Well most). No componants are faulty, and after choosing a fan controller, I might not need it until I get my custom cooling for the CPU. Because the PC is so QUIET it is unreal. And have filled all fan slots up as well.

Will get pics up asap for you guys, and it doesn't look messy at all, very tidy. I am well pleasd. ;) Now will check out games later.