1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Case Window

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Span, 22 Aug 2002.

1. Span

Span What's a Dremel?

Real simple question...
    Ive seen online 2 different ways of making a case window, one where you cut a hole, and cut the acrylic to fit the hole, then place it in, with the rubber lining.
    The other way ive seen is where you just cut a hole in the case, and mount the acrylic behind the hole, uncut.
    Are there any reasons not to use the second way, as it seems alot simpler.

Also, do plain rectangles look crap when windowed, should i put the extra effort into rounding the edges?

thanks

2. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

Welcome to the forums.

Actually, a lot of people prefer to use the second way. It is easier and you don't have the extra large rubber molding around the window. But it's really personal preference.

Plain rectangles can look sharp. Like the premade lian li windowed panels. The main problem with a rectangle is the sharp corners if you are planning on using molding. You would really have to mitre the molding to get it to fit right. Of course if you can make a real straight clean cut, you won't need molding. :D

3. japala

japala What's a Dremel?

4. Span

Span What's a Dremel?

Thx, just need the cash now, and ill do it :D

5. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

It's down to taste.

I went for the second method, as I don't like the look of moulding around the window:

[​IMG]

I'd round the corners if I where you. But I'm not you, so it's up to you... :D

6. mctoby

mctoby What's a Dremel?

I agree with Japala and GOO, and go for a window without the molding much cleaner / nicer look....

:dude:

7. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

COUGH JIGSaw Cough

makes all those corners Pi** easy and very quick. you dont go through 32213 disks trying to cut a small hairline fracture in the case

8. jamnog

jamnog Guest

ok i did the ruber tubing just to keep this balanced

well if ure new to cutting with dremal corners are not as dificult as you think they are going to be my advice is try cuting nice and clean and keep the tubeing for if you mess it up like... well i didnt mess it up but i cut the window before the hole. oh and dont rush. the jigsaw ... cop out no sence of achivement and you might go thru two blades i went thru about 3 disks and i was going quite fast speed 5 on the corners. also i have a black case so the tube looks ok i think will do the second method next time. btw j/k (for anything derogatory) ;)

9. brumster

brumster What's a Dremel?

or secret option number C...
    ask your mothers boyfriend who is a CNC/CAD/CAM operator and has access to industrial machinery to cut you a custom window and then cut the acryllic to the exact shape and size with a 10mm wide lip (the lip is the same depth as the thickness of the case door) so that the window fits flush to the case. i also did away with beading cos i think it ruins the clean look and used hex head screws which screw into tapped holes in the thin edge of the acryllic :)
    i hope this made sense
    btw, ive now got him working on a custom backplate with attached fan grilles to cover the two 80mm fan holes at the back of my chieftec dragon full tower... those of you with this case will understand the problem due to the plastic fan mounting doobries :rolleyes:

10. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Brum - you can't say all of that and not post piccies!:D

We need to see!!;)

11. KMS-oul

KMS-oul You think you know me.

i did the first method due to the fact my hands are always shaking, the rubber locking strap eliminates small sources of error. If you are good at cutting and neat then go for the 2nd option.

12. Span

Span What's a Dremel?

Ive never cut before, but i was presuming that the 2nd method would be easier, for it only involved one lot of cutting instead of 2.
    what you say makes sense though

13. VadimtheConqueror

VadimtheConqueror I love the little tacos...

i went with the second method, and i'm thinking of putting some small tubing around the hole because i happen to think it looks nice.

14. Lazy

Lazy Meow?

if you do a custom window then you can't actually need to cut the corners properly. See below :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

thats the top window on my modded generic case :dude:

15. Telkman

Telkman What's a Dremel?

i used method two with some very thin chrome edging. looks very nice.

16. Tribal Dragon

Tribal Dragon Insomniac modder!

well it depends of your ablility to use dremel/jigsaw I think... I've cut in my panel a "ice theme" with a dremel. took me 4 hours and about 12 heavy duty discs... depends of what you need.

fortunatly, I'll get pics in 2 days!!! so people will stop bugging me with pics!!! :lol:

17. brumster

brumster What's a Dremel?

Yeah, i plan to buy myself a little digital camera soon and post a few pics... its my first modded case but its turning out quite nicely. i got the prototype of the backplate coming down (from newcastle) soon, and once weve ironed out the gremlins in that and i chuck a cold cathode in there u guys will be the first to see it ;)
    (ill prolly take a short break before stripping it all down again for the planned paintjob)

18. ww667

ww667 Banned

well i did my irst attempt on cuting yestrday.
    Did not goo as good as i thod it will ;)
    Did get a hole in but the edges wow they just look like a sh**.
    Well now i'm thinking whould i roun it up and try to sand some smothmnes in or just scrap the case and get a new one. (me was smart wnt and boath a cheap case to experiment on 30$ power suply included. one more thing to slise up.)