1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Fibreglass Kit

Discussion in 'Modding' started by bumfluff, 24 Apr 2007.

1. bumfluff

bumfluff What's a Dremel?

I was in Halfords today, and I noticed that they had a fibreglassing kit for sale. I had never seen it before in Halfords so I thought other people her might be interested, if it is something only recently out, sorry if I am wasting your time.

How much would you be able to get out of that kit? I am looking to make something like the BOSS FX:57 air scoop, would that be dooable with that size of kit?

2. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

It doesnt specify the amount or how big the mats are.. So i have no idea.

3. bumfluff

OK well if I can find out next time I am in there, can anybody tell me how much I would need?

4. kalm

kalm What's a Dremel?

I have bought one of those kits before and ther is quite abit of mat in it you could proberbly make a reasonable start on a scoop with it. The mat in the kit is the coarse kind btw.

5. bumfluff

Yeah I thought that. Was it the larger or the smaller kit you bought?

6. bumfluff

If I got myself a proper painter's mask type thing. HOw much use would I be able to get out of it before I wold have to change the filters? Would it be able to last all the bondo, fibreglassing and painting in the project?

7. SlappKnutts

SlappKnutts What's a Dremel?

Yes, unless you did something foolish with it, of course. I use a 3M chemical mask every day under rather extreme conditions and I change out the filters about every two weeks.
    Keep it clean and dry, and when not using put it in an airtight bag. The filters will absorb moisture from the air over time and eventually clog, sealing it in a bag will avoid this. I would guess care for it properly and the filters would last for 6 months or better under "hobby" conditions.

8. bumfluff

Ok thanks, the mask is £24.99 in Halfords so I wouldnt want to be shelling out too much on the £7.99 filters. Does anyone know if this is good value for a mask or if I can find better?

9. SlappKnutts

SlappKnutts What's a Dremel?

Just wanted to know how things are going?
    and to give some advice... the worst place to go for alomost anything is Halfords, if your worried about the price. With polyestor it would be better to find a dealer in the area. And best to find someone in the business... I make polyestor windmill housings for a living... and I can go thru a 1000 liters of resin in a week! So, like a few weeks back, when a friend needed some materiel to fix up and old boat he got I got permission from my boss and grabbed about 5 liters of resin and a few square meters of glass mat. To me that was nothing... we end up throwing away more than that away every day. But to him, who had been buying these hobby kits it was like 100-200 euros worth of stuff!
    With everything there is a cheaper way, and more often than not, its not where you go but who you know.
    Good luck with your project!

10. bumfluff

Yeah at the moment I dont have time because my exams are about to start and I also want to buy a couple of new tennis rackets so that will take some money out of my account. Hopefully I will have some more money buy June to start after my exams are finished.