1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yet another RAID advice question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sam.g.taylor, 29 Apr 2007.

?

Which hard drive setup?

1. Stick with the RAID 1. (Bindi won't choose this one)

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  2. Go Matrix RAID - 1/2 RAID 0, 1/2 RAID 1

4 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Just switch to JBOD.

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

The PC in my sig currently has an Intel 975x chipset, meaning I have have (and use) the ICH7R southbridge for RAID. Currently, I have two 160GB HD's in RAID 1. So far, they're about half full and performance is pretty good.
    However, having the ICH7R for RAID also means I can try Intel's Matrix RAID. For example, I can have half of each drive be RAID 0 and half be RAID 1, thus giving me 240GB of space.

Is it worth it for me to do this Matrix RAID setup? I'd like to get as much performance, space, and security as I can out of this current setup, however mutually exclusive those three concepts might be. But if there are problems with the Matrix RAID technology, or I may not see much of a performance benefit from the RAID 0 part, then I don't want to do it.

With all that in mind, I'm basically laying out my options and asking you which one I should do:
    1. Keep the RAID 1.
    2. Go Matrix RAID, 1/2 and 1/2.
    3. Go JBOD.

P.S. If I decide to go JBOD from RAID 1, I won't have to do any reinstalling of Windows, right? One disk would boot up and I'd just wipe the other one, correct?

2. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Get a extra harddrive, a decent RAID5 card, and ditch the onboard RAID :)

3. sam.g.taylor

sam.g.taylor Apparently I'm Greg Kinnear

would if I could...
    but the same old excuse - lack of cash

4. Zyphron

Zyphron What's a Dremel?

true, raid 5 would be good.

are the partitions configurable? because i know i have alot more data that i would want on the raid 1 and have just whats needed on the raid 0 ( like a 70/30

im sure you can find a cheap 160 somewhere?
    i just got a OEM 250Gb for $80(US)