1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding What to do with G4 case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by purple, 4 May 2007.

1. purple

purple Minimodder

I've just managed to lay my hands on 2 mac cases, a blue bondi and one of the curvy grey/blue g4 cases.

The bondi is getting a flat screen and some inards from an HP core duo that exploded (power supply gone but work bought a whole new machine) and that can be my other halfs new machine.

the G4 case i'm not so sure about, i was really looking forward to doing many mad things to it to fit a PC in to, then i opened it up and realised that apart from having to move the motherboard risers a little its all stock parts and sizes, so no real chanenge at all :waah:

so does anyone have any ideas on what to do with it that could be more than just replacing the insides?

2. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

piccies of said cases or links.. :)

3. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

doesn't everybody know what an imac and a g4 look like?

the g4 is a sweet case, don't ruin the clean look just to mod it.

4. davidbacsik

davidbacsik What's a Dremel?

I think the G4 would make a nice looking HTPC case?

5. identikit

identikit Minimodder

[stupid idea] Turn the side transparent (there's a easy mod-guide out there somewhere) and make it into a fish tank! [/stupid idea]

6. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

Im pretty sure a g4 would make a good anchor....

back on topic:
    If you execute a pc conversion on that case very precisely it has the ability to be something spectacular. Though just getting the mac components out of there would instantly make it a faster computer.

7. purple

purple Minimodder

well the G4 case has now been striped, and is down to the metal casing.

It's not going to quite as easy as I though, but not too bad.

there is only room for a micro ATX board but i seem to have a few of those about so thats easy enough, but it does mean at teh moment it will have to be a low power P4 (2.8), as thats the only one i can find here at the moment that has a small enough heat sink. As the only other way will be water cooling that i dont really want to go near.

i havn't started on the bondi yet though.

8. THRASHER2

THRASHER2 Pimpin' Deals 24/7

I would install some Red leds in the clear plexi areas and call it a EVIl MAC :rock:

9. purple

purple Minimodder

i've had to stop the g4 due to a lack of power tools, so the bondi take apart has started! Apart from a few paraniod moments when taking out the CRT and the power supply for it, it all went quite smootly.

With the CRT out there is a lot of room inside, I will have to be a little creatative with the placement of the PSU, but the motherboard fits in easy and a quick size comparison with the flat screen i have means it should go in without too many hassles.

nice ;)