1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

restarting pc...

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by killingtime, 28 May 2007.

1. killingtime

killingtime What's a Dremel?

hello,

my computer restarts itself nearly everytime i turn it on, ranging from right away to staying on for many hours before doing it. when i check the error report it says something about sys directory.dll or something, i will copy and paste it next time it happens. ive reformatted the pc thinking that'd work but it hasnt so surely it is some sort of hardware problem? if anyone can help i'd be grateful, i havent been able to use my pc properly in months!

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

right click mycomputer->properties->advanced->startup and recovery.

disable automatic restart.

write down the bluescreen in full and post here.

3. killingtime

thanks fod, i assume that means that when the system fails it will display a blue screen instead of restarting? will do, cheers

4. killingtime

problem detected and windows had to be shut down to prevent damage to pc.

run a system diagnostic utility supplied by your hardware manufacturer.
    in particular memory check for faulty/mismatched memory. try changing video adapters.

disable/remove any newly installed hardware and drivers
    disable/remove any newly installed software.

(how to start up in safe mode if needed)

technical information: ***STOP:0x0000007F (0x0000000D, 0x00000000, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

beginning dump of physical memory
    physical memory dump complete

...also i just got a different one that was similar but said IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

cheers

5. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Roighty, this sounds like a hardware or RAM problem.

1) First try to start in safe mode. Press F5/F8 on boot (post BIOS - pre Windows start, just tap it really). If it still reboots, go to step 2.

1.1) Try to remove all but the bare minimum of hardware (GFX, RAM, CPU, mobo). If you still get errors then try step 2 as well. If there are no errors then it'll be one of the bits of hardware you removed, sometimes just reinserting it can fix the error. Sometimes you'll have to re-install the drivers from safe mode. Biggest culprit for this is GFX.

2)Try downloading UBCD (It's the best diagnostic CD in the internet IMHO) and run Memtest86+ overnight. That'll tell you if there's a RAM problem.