1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Firewire... Uncommon?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hugo.B, 14 Jun 2007.

1. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

Why is it that I have never seen any device in IRL, or on the 'Net that plugs into the Firewire or 1394 port?
    Why is the predominant socket USB?

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to be posting in, but it seemed the best.

H.B.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Firewire needs an additional chipset, USB is native.

Firewire is lisenced by Sony (and Apple?) iirc, whereas USB is an open standard.

It's FAR better than USB. It's daisy-chainable, point to point network capable and faster than USB.

3. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

Thanks, I'd been wondering about it for a long time.
    If as you say it's faster that USB, it's a shame it hasn't had more widespread adoption, or that USB couldn't be upgraded to be faster.
    Firewire flashdrives/pendrives?

H.B.

4. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I thought it was primarily an apple thing, the original iPods didn't succeed massively because they were firewire only and at the time there was no market penetration.

I've only even seen a Firewire webcam in real life and that had extra ports on the back.

5. identikit

identikit Minimodder

I have my main PC and Powerbook networked via Firewire sometimes. I've got a Firewire CF memory card reader. My next camera will have Firewire (1Ds mkII hopefully). Certain people out there love Firewire (me included).

6. beesbees

beesbees What's a Dremel?

I've never used a firewire port :lol:

7. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

my DV camera has firewire on it, in fact its the only connection method, but I need to send it off soon to Canon and the sensor has come de-soldered (apparently a common thing in this model so its a free repair).

8. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

All of the external HDDs and DVD-RW drives I've had have had firewire ports. It's certainly a lot better for devices like these and I've never had those "delayed write failure" messages with Firewire that I had when copying loads of files over USB.

Shame it's not used for more devices, but one standard will always win over the other, and it's not always the best one that wins...

9. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

I use firewire to connect my LCD TV and the Cable Box together.
    you tend to find firewire on bandwidth hungry devices, external drives, audio/video mixing tables, or tv tuner/importers.

10. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

If only USB could be a host-less system (like Firewire). Firewire seems so awesome and I've always wanted to try it out, but I've never seen any Firewire devices IRL.

11. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

12. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

I've only used firewire a few times, but am yet to get any device that really warrents it..

as for the networking thing, I've used it a few times to link 2 macs together and boot one from the other's HDD etc... was absolutely amazing for me!

13. iwog

iwog Linux cursed

This may be me being an idiot but i thought USB2 was faster than Firewire?

14. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

USB: 10-12Mbps
    Firewire 400: 400Mbps
    USB 2.0: 480Mbps
    Firewire 800: 800Mbps
    Firewire 1600 (Coming soon): 1600Mbps
    Firewire 3200 (Coming soon): 3200Mbps

15. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

IEEE1394b is very fast. You'll only notice the improvement, if only slightly, over USB 2.0 when plugging in external hard drives. It is an Apple technology, I'm informed.

16. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

From what I've heard, it;s actually quite uncommon for a device to be able to come close to the USB2.0 max transfer speed of 480Mbps as the controller chips used are usually slower than that.

Never actually measured, though...

17. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

It is because many PC's don't have Firewire, so they must use USB, which is more common.

But, I think personally that Firewire is better, it is very fast and more reliable than USB 2.

18. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

It does have the downside, though, of not being entirely safe for hot-plugging.
    I've never personally heard of damage from hot-plugging USB devices, whereas it seems to be somewhat common with Firewire, for whatever reason.
    Additionally, the external Firewire sound card that I use for recording came with a big warning about not plugging in or out the firewire devices until both devices being connected are switched off. :eyebrow:

That makes me quite paranoid about moving the sound card too much when my system is on, in fear of the cable coming loose..

19. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Indeed. We just had to send our Sony Z1 for repair because the Firewire port died on us. Now, I make sure that any device is powered off before inserting or removing the plug.

Having said that, all of our external drives (4 or 5 of various types) are running on Firewire. They have some pretty decent transfer rates; faster than USB.

-monkey

Tags: