1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playstation 3 PS3 Keyboard and Mouse

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by d4v3, 17 Jul 2007.

1. d4v3

d4v3 What's a Dremel?

Hi there,

This is most probably quite a daft question, but I'm gonna ask anyway!

I was reading on the web not so very long ago that the PS3 will support keybaord and mouse in game, "GREAT" I thought, i won't have to pay through to nose to get a new computer to play UT3 with a keyboard and mouse.

But when searching the web to see what people thought of using a keyboard and mouse with a PS3, there really wasn't much to be said. Therefore, my questions are:

1.) Is the keyboard and mouse actually supported in game with the PS3

2.) if above = yes then, whats it like?

Thanks,

Dave.

P.S appologies for choosing the XBOX picture instead of the PS3 (ooops, i guess...)

Last edited by a moderator: 17 Jul 2007
  2. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I think, like the 360, PS3 games are only compatible with keyboard and mouse if they decide to add support for it. Why developers don't bother putting it in for the 360 I don't know.

Don't know what it would be like, but I imagine not quite as good as on the PC since I think sensitivity of the mouse won't be so customisable and some mice need drivers to unlock their full potential. It all really depends on whether auto-aim is disabled when you plug a KB/mouse in.

3. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

If Epic is taking the position I think they are, I wouldn't be surprised if they did add support for the KB/M. I believe any blue tooth KB and M will work on the PS3. The biggest reason I can think of for developers not more widely supporting a KB/M on their games is because they are guaranteed everyone will have a controller so they don't have to worry about balance or spend time programming it and adding in options for customization and the like.

The reason I think Epic may include support for a KB/M on the PS3 is because they seem devoted to bridging the gap between consoles and PCs for their games. It's one of the main reasons they decided to focus on exclusive PS3 development because Sony pretty much lets developers do their own thing, where as Microsoft has limitations of what developers are allowed to put on Live games.

4. darkovo

darkovo What's a Dremel?

Yeah a good 3rd party version out for the 360 - XFPS 360, expensive though! Hopefully one will be released for the PS3 too :sigh:

5. HenvY

HenvY Yeah, what IS a dremel?

What input does it use? If USB then surely it can be hacked for use with the PS3 anyway? Especially since it can run Linux...

6. sandys

sandys Multimodder

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Nah it's crap, not because the thing itself is crap, but because games aren't designed with KB/M in mind. I tried it with Halo 2, I have my mouse at a very high sensitivity so I only need to twitch my hand to spin myself around, the problem with console games is they're designed for analogue sticks. If you plug a controller into an analogue stick(s) into a PC and go into it's options, you'll notice the analogue stick has tiny little jiggles of input even when you aren't touching it, because of this, console games have a deadzone so your viewpoint isn't wiggling about all over the place, but this doesn't make it ideal for a mouse as it makes it completely different to control than an FPS on a PC.