1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wii / Wii U Wii makes Japan give up TV

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by CardJoe, 24 Jul 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

http://games.slashdot.org/games/07/07/23/234213.shtml

The whole of Japan seems to be abandoning TV to turn to the way of the Wii.

Personally, I think it's a massive leap to say that just because people aren't watching tv (no station got more than 9% audience share) that they must be playing on the Wii, but if they have the sources to back it up then I'll trust it for now.

Still, over in the west, the Wii is starting to be seen as gimmicky and old news which gets pretty old pretty quickly. There's no real killer titles for it yet, thats for sure (except Paper Mario, which I must get soon).

How do you feel about the Wii? Enough to give up the toob?

2. Spacecowboy92

Spacecowboy92 Gettin' Lazy

I gave up TV ages ago, I only watch if theres something good on. But it was'nt to Wii, no, XBox of course.

3. Spaceraver

Spaceraver Ultralurker

What TV?? I dont have one and do not plan on having it..

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I've longsince given up on TV as well, but it's mostly to spending time here, slashdot, or digg (I really need to stop that, too many idiots), rather than gaming. Wii was great while I was playing Zelda but the novelty has worn off - still waiting for some new games. I've been doing mostly Xbox recently since I can get used games for five bucks or less that are still pretty good (got the first two Splinter Cell games for $4.98 for the two, etc), and until I was attacked by Brett, had a prefectly good PC for when I wanted some high-res gaming.

Yeah, the assortment of minigames is great if you've got a bunch of people over all the time, but there are few titles that are really good for single-player gaming. Sure, you look like an idiot flailing about, but either there's nobody around or they're playing too, right?

5. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

I doubt they've abandoned their TV's for Wii. It seems like a likely canditated when you take into the account the large sales of the Wii and now the drop in TV viewing. But I doubt it's the Wii only.

As for my Wii? No way would I give up TV for it. I love the little thing, but at the moment, it has no staying power as far as games go. I could get Zelda, but I purchased it on Gamecube already. None of the other games keep me going for more than an hour at best unless I have friends over. And once you figure out that the controls aren't so "life like" any fun I was having with my games was pretty much gone.

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Very rarely watch TV now, the internet/gaming stopped that. If there's a really good series I want to watch I'll watch it over the tubes, especially since we don't get programs like Heroes until like 5 years after it's finished in the US.

I think the problem with the Wii over here in the west is people are treating it like a normal console, when it isn't, people expect the usual AAA titles but adapted for the Wii controls and expect it to be awesome, instead of looking to games that are designed specifically with the new control system in mind.

Yeah the Wii is a gimmick, but thats not a bad thing, one thing I've noticed about my other consoles, is although they're great when I'm on my own, the majority of games don't work too well with sofa multiplayer, I have about three games that can do split screen play, and all of those are pretty boring split screen and if you have more than two people it's pretty difficult to hotseat the games.

Last edited: 24 Jul 2007
  7. CardJoe

I often have to make a concious effort to enjoy a singleplayer console game. Some games, like Dead Rising, i'm willing to make an effort for. The majority though put the question to me about how I want to experience a game. A dumbed down or simplified console game which, even if not dumbed down, has a fairly lame control system and requires me to sit on the sofa and steal the living room from the missus, or do I want to use a precise and customised setup to play a customiseable, supported game on my PC which gives me access to a wider selection of games?

8. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I really enjoy Wii'ing, it took over our TV watching last year, as instead of slouching around watching some crappy program, we'd play Wii sports/play/Red Steel multiplayer/NFS:Carbon.

Personally, with the right game, on the right console, I think a console singleplayer can be as good as any PC game tbh. Take GT on the PS- for example - a brilliantly adapted game for the control method, and definately my favourite series of console games by far.

9. Hugo

Hugo Ex-TrustedReviews Staff

*cough*Bioshock*cough*

I seriously doubt the validity of these claims. But, the Wii is mighty popular so who knows!

10. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

I don't understand why this is being labeled as such a killer title. I enjoy Super Mario RPG and Super Paper Mario and the 1000 Year Door but I simply did not care for this Paper Mario. I was only around two or three chapters through it before I got in the "OMG I can't stand playing this game but I must finish it to see the ending" mood. I mean, several, several hours of playing a game that gets repetitive very fast and requires an even amount of skill from the first boss all the way to the last boss. Maybe they should bring back more of the RPG factors in the next game.

As for the Wii, I don't own one but my room mate does and it got played heavily at first, but now only sees some action every once in a while. I still want my own though so I can play some RE4.

11. CardJoe

I'll be getting it for the PC, just for the mod content.

12. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Now that Heroes has finished on Sci-Fi the only thing left on TV that I watch is Naruto, and that's only on over the weekend. I was going to start watching Dexter, but missed the first episode and then couldn't be bothered to watch the rest. I get home and I'm either on the Internet or the 360 or playing the guitar (badly). I haven't played on the Wii since Christmas, although Big Brain Acadamy and RE4 looks intersting.

13. JesterQ

JesterQ What's a Dremel?

Tv is crap these's days, you can tell how crap becasue you end up watching 'monster garage' and thinking it's cool !

The Wii take's centre stage in the Living room, as it's the only consol I have, the PC still wears the crown for alternate entertainment.

14. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

TV is going downhill, the BBC want to put more repeats on and so on. We take so long to get stuff over here I stream it from the US. Much better quality aswell.

I sold my Wii because It was too gimmicky for me.

15. steele

steele What's a Dremel?

We Wii most evenings in our house, can't say that we would of been watching the tv if we did'nt Wii though. But like a lot of people we only watch a limited amount of selected tv, as 95% of it is just crap. The BBC are a prime example of a loss of quality tv. Its either a soap, games show or some reality tv shite every evening bring back quality shows like Attenbourgh (even if just repeats) and Tomorrows World. Can anyone think of any other good tv shows that the BBC has produced?

Steele

16. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

James May's 20th Century
    Jekyll
    Nevemind the Buzzcocks
    Dr. Who
    Spooks
    Top Gear
    Hustle
    Dave Gorman's various series
    Grumpy Old Men
    Have I Got News For You
    Room 101
    QI
    Shooting Stars
    Horizon
    Panorama
    Thousands of other documentaries (including Louis Theroux)
    BBC News & associated departments like the weather

That's just to name a few that spring to mind, don't be so quick to judge on the BBC just because the current trends in television don't suit you. Reality TV makes good watching for a lot of people, so it's on by popular demand.

17. Snaek

Snaek What's a Dremel?

I gave up on TV long ago. The only show I'm currently interested in is House, MD.

18. CardJoe

HOUSE AND HEROES FOR TEH MOOVERFOOKING WIN!!N!!!"11!!1oneoneone

19. steele

steele What's a Dremel?

I know what you mean aboout personal choice, but there is so much reality tv, people must watch it and it must make money. I agree with the James May's 20th Century, great little programme, I like the way he always manages to fit in a car or motorbike into every episode, guess thats what he likes!

Steele

Tags: