1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a quirky problem i have no answer to...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Digital Sin, 30 Aug 2002.

1. Digital Sin

Digital Sin What's a Dremel?

ok, this one has me stumped. i just can not transfer large files to my computer or extract them (it seems that large amounts of disk activity lock it up) i can install small files like 3dmark just fine, but things like medal of honor, office, and quake hard lock my system.

the specs are dual MP1900s on K7D master, 1GB Kingston ECC PC2100, Promise TX2000 w/ 2 maxtor ATA133 drives raid 0, Enermax 650w psu, and a radeon 9700. i am not overclocking anything. my system is 100% stable when i am doing things like 3dmark benchies or just surfing the net. start any sort of file transferring, and BOOM- lockup.

2. Cheese

Cheese Doc

What PSU are you using? Might not have enough grunt.

How's that ram made up (might be an error in a 2nd stick that only crops up when it's used).

Any nicks in your IDE drive cables?

You using RAID? Got the latest drivers installed?

Rob.

3. Digital Sin

stated above: enermax 650w.

ill try another stick of ram, right now i have 4 sticks of pc2100.. mght be binding.

doubt it, they are rounded.

yep, but they havent released any new drivers for it yet- the card is brand new.

thanks, ill try this stuff.... but in case i dont come back, keep a posting. :sigh:

4. Cheese

Cheese Doc

I've had 2 rounded cables break on me (nicks near the base or wire damage) and Enermax PSU's are a big pile of pants IMO... though the 650W version should be fine you're right, I'd still monitor your voltage levels and make sure.

Rob.

5. Digital Sin

maybe so, but if a cable was nicked it wouldnt work at all, correct? i will check, but it still baffles me why the system only locks under heavy i/o usage.

6. Cheese

Cheese Doc

I had a cdrom drive that used to copy small files fine and mess up big files because of a tiny nick on one of the cables lines - it's highly unlikely to be the source of your problems (and it sounds like the RAID card is the most likely source) but I thought I'd put it down anyway... the more ideas the better 'an all :)

r.

7. Digital Sin

ok, well if its the raid card perhaps it would be an excuse to get some SCSI going ;) ill check it... most likely my damn hard drives or something.

8. Digital Sin

ITS MY DAMN VIDEO CARD... WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT?!! :cries:

MSI duallies dont seem to like ANY ati cards.

9. Cheese

Cheese Doc

Crappie... swap you for my gf4? :D

r.

p.s. where di you get a 9700 from btw? Are they on sale in the US now?

10. Digital Sin

compusa... it works just fine in my xp2000 system but not my duallie. oh well, thats the 760mpx chipset for you! :grr:

imma send an email to the people at MSI and ATI, see if i can get a response...