1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Bizzare Creations talks about PGR4 disc space

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 2 Aug 2007.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Joeymac

Joeymac What's a Dremel?

As is the case with most thins nowadays it's a load of fuss over nothing. From the sound of it they couldn't fit it on, decided to do something different, but now are doing some damage control over the whole incident.
    Personally I don't really care. The challenges of weather is more interesting than day and night driving anyway... that's been done in every game.

3. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

4. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

Just as long as the weather cycles effect driving performance

5. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Well thats me confused:( Oh well, lets hope its gonna be on time for release, which apparently is is the 14th of next month, according to play.

Sam

6. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

how is -> "insufficient developer time and resource problems" any better?

Hey guys, please buy this game we didn't really finish how we would of liked to have done, thanks :D

7. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I want to recreate the 2007 European grand prix on the Nürburgring!

8. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

Very true. But like any project, rarely do things go to plan. So i s'pose it's a trade off of,

"Do we delay the project X many months and p1ss off the game community but release it as we [the developers] want it",

or,

"Do we release it with the all the must-have's, some of the should-have's but none the could-have's at a relatively decent time scale?".

Who knows... Maybe with the 120gig hdd for the Elite 360 there'll be a "day/night" cycle patch :D

9. Bursar

Bursar What's a Dremel?

As long as what's delivered is a solid game that's stable and good fun, the 'could-haves' will just be released as DLC (for a small charge ofcourse!).

10. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

11. Mister_X

Mister_X Chaotic Neutral

I'll happily live without night races, nothing special there, but the addition of decent weather and bikes will make the difference

12. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Yeah, delaying a game just because they wanted to but in day and night cycles is a bit stupid, it's not really an essential part of a driving game. Yeah, I'd love to see it in there as well, but, well, I'm not too interested in this game actually, but if I was, I'd want it sooner rather than later.

13. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Just make it a downloadable update/option.

14. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Surely coding for day/night wouldn't take up that much room on a DVD? Unless they're using different textures or something, I don't see how it would be much of a problem. But, as others have said, I'd much rather realistic weather that has an effect than day/night any time.

15. mardukph

mardukph What's a Dremel?

I'd take driving affecting weather effects <whew> over day and night cycles any day. =)
    Not too keen on the bikes though.
    Can't the developers put the content into 2 dvds and just copy over some files over to the HDD (maybe track or car textures) and just lazy load them from the hdd when needed? There would be a game dvd and a content dvd. hehe

Yeah it may have some pros but im sure as hell there would be a lot of cons too. But it's an idea =)

Feel free to comment, critisize, and flame ...

16. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

17. Zayfod

Zayfod What's a Dremel?

Essentially yes, they are using different textures, the sky for one which could be several different textures used in sequence, they could also be using lighting maps which are used to cut down on the processing required for lighting.

The basic lighting scheme for a level is "baked" into a lighting map that tells the game's rendering engine where the light cast by the global and ambient occlusion light sources, like say the moon, falls and how it is obscured by level geometry at any particular point. Street lights, car lights, and such are dynamic lights and handled in real time along with the shadows for mobile geometry like cars.

With the requirements of rendering to HD sizes and HDR lighting these textures tend to be rather huge, hence the vague push by the industry to procedurally generated content.

18. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

dont you actually have to quote somthing to say qft ? :p

19. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

Idk I think this is just an excuse to get around saying that DVD9 is not allowing for enough room...but I doubt we'll ever know until others have the same problem.....

Tags: Add Tags