1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disabling "portable media devices"

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by ConKbot of Doom, 5 Aug 2007.

1. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

I plugged my sansa mp3 player in today and it shows up as a "portable media device" under "audio devices" in my computer instead of as a removable drive. The only options I have when I right click is either to open it, explore it, or format it. While I can put files on it, there is no properties for the whole thing to see how much space I have left, and it doesnt show up as a drive letter... I have a feeling it probably has something to do with a WMP update.

How do I make this just show up as a thumb drive rather then where it is now?

EDIT: I cant even make a new folder or copy a folder onto the drive, :lol: this must be as bad as owning an Ipod. I'll use winamp to load it up for now, but jeeze thats still a pain compared to just using it like a thumbdrive...

Last edited: 6 Aug 2007
  2. bR0k3n_b0n3

bR0k3n_b0n3 What's a Dremel?

Do you have a driver or software cd for your mp3 player? You should check if there is any software or maybe drivers. Allthough you can have a look at the producers website for help (something like the support area).

3. ConKbot of Doom

nope, no drivers this is all windows... When I plug it in, the autorun popup box shows up as "MTP media player"

EDIT: looks like MTP was the key to this, after seeing this
    http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3263

I have to go now but I'll post my solution to this after work.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2007
  4. ConKbot of Doom

Ok forgot about this, but it was pretty simple to fix. I plugged in my mp3 player, ran a batch file I made:
    stopit.bat
    Code:
    net stop UMWdf
    stopit
    that just looped in the background, that killed UMWdf even when it auto ran. I uninstalled the mp3 player from device manager, unplugged it, plugged it back in. At first it detects it as a media player again, but when it gets killed by the batch file, it asks you to install a driver for it. Select advanced and then choosed a usb mass storage device instead of a media player.

After that is done you can close the .bat file window.

5. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

That truly is a genius hack, I must say.

6. ConKbot of Doom

little 'features' like that have a tendancy to rub me the wrong way...

Got a 4gb titanium cruiser from work, for work and it has the U3 bs loaded allready. Plug it in and it mounts as the thumb drive and as a CD-drive...:blah: first think I did was nuke the U3 stuff and format it.