1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Short USB connectors

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Zombie, 1 Aug 2007.

1. Zombie

Zombie What's a Dremel?

I'm preparing a case mod for my nslu2 which i'm trying to fit into a lacie porsche HD enclosure.

First major problem i've come across is how to replicate the USB ports, the nslu2 motherboard fits but the USB ports would need to come out the side which i don't want to do. i have just under half the length of a standard USB 'A' connector to play with. Anyone know of any cables that have extra short connectors? I'm looking for something along these lines (but shorter of course):

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...m9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=21926&_LOC=UK

2. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

Personally, i think you would be just better too make your own ones out of some 6 core (correct me if im wrong) cable and buy some plugs too go on the end. Then you will get the exact length of cable you want, witch will go towards a tidier system.

3. Akava

Akava Lurking...

I agree, its unlikly you will find anything under a metre in length for sale, though it is possible, I would suggest you either do as above, or just buy the 1.8m then cut the cable shorter... solder the cables back together... use some tape to keep it tidy. :dremel:

4. Zombie

Zombie What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies but i'm after shorter *connectors* not cables. I've seen that you can get right angle connectors for USB 'B' but nothing for the 'A' style connectors that i need. I've had this recommendation from elsewhere:

http://www.usbfirewire.com/Parts/rr-abr01-12.html

But after shipping & tax etc. it's nearly $60 and that's not including uk customs and parcelforce's doing nothing charge. Anyone know a UK supplier of something like this? or anywhere i can get them for less than 40 quid?

5. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Last edited: 2 Aug 2007
  6. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Last edited: 2 Aug 2007
  7. Zombie

Zombie What's a Dremel?

Thanks Akava but these two links have exactly the problems from before.

First one is exactly what i need except it's a US company, cheaper than before but still $40+ including shipping then of course comes the customs/parcelfarce charges. I just on principle refuse to pay 30+ quid for two cables for a 50 quid machine.

The cable universe ones don't actually fit the brief, i need short connectors not cables! they just don't seem to be available in the uk...

Cheers for trying though.

8. Akava

Akava Lurking...

It wasn't the cables length i suggested it for, if you remove the casing for the connecters, as i suggested, it would be much shorter than a standard one. :dremel:

P.S Sorry about the other one, didn't think the price would rise quite so steeply.

9. Zombie

Zombie What's a Dremel?

I guess that's what i'm gonna have to do. I'll have to dig out my stanley knife - it was stored for safe keeping as i'm very good at chopping bits off myself rather than what i'm aiming for. Last time, i spent two hours in casualty and could see my tendon moving through the hole i made in my thumb :)

No need to be sorry, it's always good to get a helpful reply or two, even if it's not quite what i'm looking for.

10. Akava

Akava Lurking...

Lol, ouch, try not to cut too much off yourself this time, try wearing some chain mail gloves maybe? ;)

11. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

I've made short USB cables out of connectors and cat 5 in the past. Check manufactures like Foxconn, Amp, and Molex. Once you have some part numbers, look for a local distributor. Here in teh US, I can usally find what I need from Jameco, Mouser or Digikey. But if all else fails, sometimes you can call and beg for a couple 'engineering samples' :)

12. Jomanscool2

Jomanscool2 What's a Dremel?

I would just desolder the USB connectors and solder on cat5e for the 6 inches or whatever.

13. Zombie

Zombie What's a Dremel?

Just to confirm...

CONNECTORS, CONNECTORS, CONNECTORS :wallbash: not cables!

And as far is i can tell, the only ways to get short connectors are A) live in america / pay through your arse to get them shipped. B) strip existing ones and make your own.

B is what i've decided to do in the end. Thanks to all those who replied, even those who (albeit with good intentions) post first and read later.

14. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

If you can use the headers on the motherboard then you could use these instead (the UK address takes you to the US site for product details, but there is a uk address you can order from if they're any good - just change the .com to a .co.uk in the address header.

15. Zombie

Zombie What's a Dremel?

This was my first thought as i've got a one of those left over from my main PC. But, unfortunately, the female connectors are soldered directly onto the motherboard.

Good news though, my boss is off to the states on business i'll persuade him to pick me up a couple of the right angle ones mentioned by akava.