1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Which one would you choose?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by vegettoxp, 8 Aug 2007.

1. vegettoxp

vegettoxp What's a Dremel?

Hey Guys, I just did a quick price check on the two brands of power supplys and I was suprised to see that I can get more watts for my money with OCZ. I just wanted to get your guys opinion on which one would you choose if you were in my spot.

OCZ Model that I am looking at is:

OCZ GameXStream 850W- OCZ850GXSSLI or 1010W - OCZ1010GXSSLI

The Enermax Power Supply that I am looking at are:

Enermax Galaxy EGA850EWL or Enermax Infiniti 720W

In my opinion when I did the quick price check, OCZ really got my attention. I am not a Hard-Core Gamer. The Power Supply that I end up picking would have to put up with:

Intel X38 Chipset, Intel Quad-Core Processor (45-nm)
    Asus or Intel Motherboard
    2 Roms
    4 HDs, One of them Raptor X
    I have a CM Stacker 830 With all seven 120mm Blue LED Fans
    And Plus other stuff that I have or will have in the system.

This was just a quick list of things the power supply should be able to handal. So guys tell me if you were in my spot and you had to pick between OCZ or Enermax Power Supply, Which one would you choose?

THX for all your help!:clap:

P.S. Fusion:clap:

2. Bl4ckM0onk3y

Bl4ckM0onk3y in luv 2.0

BeQuiet 850pro ;] and i would buy OCZ GameXStream 850W- OCZ850GXSSLI only if i had to ;] , Anyways you ask the wrong question, many ppl will tell you diferent things that they "would buy" "they like" ect. Anyway when you asking what PSU can handle that hardware .... well a Solid 650Watt PSU will do , for example the OCZ 620 with cable management , or 650-750 BeQuiet series.

3. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

I've heard some bad things about voltage fluctuations on OCZ power supplies. I'd look at the Corsair HX620, it's modular, and a very well respected power supply.

4. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

OCZ GameXstream 850 has out of spec ripple at high loads. (See: Hardocp, Jonnyguru) The GameXtream 1010w won't even do 1000w (see: Hardocp)

Enermax Galaxy 850 has less usable power for the cpu than the Infiniti 720 (Unless you run a multiprocessor board).

My choice of those 4, the Infiniti 720. My choice otherwise, Corsair HX 620 or PCP&C Silencer 750.

5. dimebar

dimebar What's a Dremel?

ive had many enermax power suppplies in many rigs, and there solid and reliable for me.
    i did have a noisetaker 600 fail, but it was replaced by enermax in 4 working days door to door,

i curently use a galaxy 850 and it is a good psu, but large. also i am slightly disapointed by the fam noise when the psu is loaded over 60% and the case is hot in the summer. for such a large fan its noisy. but only in that you can clearly hear the amount of air it is moving.

i had a coolermaster real power pro 850 for a week and had nothing but grieff from it. it had lots of electrical noise issues, and the inductors in it hissed and squieled at diffferent loadings in the 12v rails, ie wile gaming. not recomended.

corsair 620 a solid quiet psu, will run almost all current rigs. as there are not many rigs that require over 600w at the moment. however, if you are looking for a future proof psu that you will keep for a few years, with multi vga's get a 750-850 psu.

do not be suckered into the 1kw psu brigade with more money than sense, there are only a small handfull of users that need that kind of power.

6. morfeus

morfeus What's a Dremel?

Seasonic M12-700.

7. vegettoxp

Hey Guys, I have learned alot from this thread and I am gona say no to OCZ Power Supply. Now I have narrowed my collection to these Power supplies.

Infiniti 720 or Corsair HX 620! If you guys were to recommend me a Power Supply, Which of these two would you recommend? I have heard a lot of good things about both of these power supplies. Expecially the Corsair HX620.

These Two (Maybe) PCP&C Silencer 750 or Seasonic M12-700

Once again thx for all your guys input in this Power Supply Topic

P.S. Fusion

8. tzang

tzang Traditional Nutter

I'd chose Enermax over Corsair, not because I don't trust Corsair (their RAM are brilliant) but I've had no Enermax PSUs fail on any of the systems I have built as of mid-1999. Enermax PSUs are also very stable, even when under full-load. Given their reputation and experience, I think they are worth the long-term investment.

Even the rare one or two PSUs that developed a noisy fan problem just before the 3 year warranty is up has been replaced by Enermax without any fuss (covered under their workmanship warranty).

Seasonic is a good alternative but I tend to find their cables a tad bit short, especially for large cases. They are quiet though as oppose to Enermax, especially the Galaxy range as mentioned by dimebar.

9. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

Seasonic and Corsair are the same, since Corsairs are just rebranded Seasonics, and I'd vouch for the HX 620 being a good option.

10. vegettoxp

The reason I am making a big deal is because when I look at the watts of the PS, Corsair HX620W, it looks really small. I know looking at the watts doesn't mean anything. I do like the Corsair HX620W when it comes to price. I can buy this right away.

I really do like the Enermax Infiniti 720W because of the more watts. But comapred to the Corsair, it is more expensive. I just need to make sure that the power supply that I get will power my system without any problems. I don't want to have power problems down the road. Also I don't plan to run my system 24/7 either.

So if you guys think that the Corsair HX620W is the way to go, then let me know. I hope that it can power my system to the fulliest. And it would be really good on my budgets.

Thx for all the input!

P.S. Fusion

11. Bbq.of.DooM

If you're not planning on crossfire X2900XT or SLI 8800GTX or Ultra, the 620 will be fine. If you are Crossfire/sli-ing, the 620 will still be fine, but not optimal, since running anything near it's limits for extended periods of time isn't good.

12. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

I think that one of your best friends here could be the Thermaltake Toughpower, 750W. A very good PSU.

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Go with BBQ - he's the man for PSU's, and it's the one most of us would recommend anyway. :)

14. vegettoxp

Hey Guys, I just wanted to ask you guys one question on the Corsair HX620W PS. Since it doens't support the new 8-Pin Setup for the new Graphic Cards (I am looking at the 8800GTS), How will I be able to get around this? Do I need to buy an adapter or what. I know the Corsair HX620W only have 6-Pin. So if anyone can comment on this, it would really help me out!

P.S. Fusion

15. Bbq.of.DooM

the new HX 620's have 8 pin, and if you ask corsair (and you got one without 8 pin), They'lls end you one. 6-8 pin pci-e adaptors also exist.

The 8800GTS only has a single 6 pin though.

16. vegettoxp

Thx for the quick answer!

17. morfeus

morfeus What's a Dremel?

I dunno, if you've gone ahead bought a psu by now - and if you have thats fine too, this might help someone else:

Its worth bearing in mind some (very approximate) figures for wattages for common components (under maximum load):

Processor 45 to 125W
    RAM per stick 20W per 256 mb (presumably DDR, DDR2 maybe lower?)
    Motherboard 20 to 40W
    Video card 25W + (upto 250W with HD2900XT xfire, perhaps?)
    PCI card 5 to 10W
    Optical Drives 10-20W
    Cooling Fans (Case and CPU) 2 to 5W
    Hard Disk Drives upto 12-15W
    Keyboard 1.5W
    Mouse (Optical) 1.5W
    USB devices 5 to 10W
    Floppy drives 5W

(thanks to devhardware.com)

As CPU power is coming DOWN its really the grafix that need more and more power. So if you have say:

2x HD
    1x optical
    1x grafix card (mid-range)
    1GB memory
    and some fans etc.

you'll probably use less than 300W MAXIMUM, so a good PSU which can supply upto 600-650W will most likely be plenty (unless you have SLI or xfire setup.)

18. vegettoxp

Hey Guys I just wanted to give you an update to my choice of power supply and I have gone with your guys choice and picked the one and only "Corsair HX620W." I got a really sweet deal on it. It was $127.39 Plus S/H $8.95 and the Grand Total was: $136.34. I got a really nice deal for a really good Power Supply.

Now the waiting begins...

Thx for all your guys help!

P.S. Fusion!